5lb (water) weight gain from a cold??

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok so I keep gaining water (I would assume?) weight at random its driving me nuts!!! I can barely eat with this sore throat. Ive been walking an average of 7 miles per day. Eating 1000-1400 (depending on what I can make myself eat because its painful). And Im up 5 lbs? wth? Can being sick cause water weight? On top of it my bad ankle hurts (8 screws a plate and a wire in it) and feels swollen. Could water retention cause that too?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    The swollen ankles are a sure sign of water retention. You really need to stop walking so much if possible (unless it's just part of your getting to/from where you need to go every day) and just focus on recovery and getting in a few more calories! Hope you feel better soon :flowerforyou:
  • Verity1111
    edited October 2017
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    The swollen ankles are a sure sign of water retention. You really need to stop walking so much if possible (unless it's just part of your getting to/from where you need to go every day) and just focus on recovery and getting in a few more calories! Hope you feel better soon :flowerforyou:

It is :( No car. I mean sometimes I catch a bus but like the other day I missed it so I walked 6.3 miles home plus I walk between classes (in college) and its a decent sized campus so I get in 1-3 miles just for that. I also walk my daughter to school (about .8 miles total there and back together) and other things... plus I have 3 kids and the younger 2 have delays/disabilities. So Im pretty busy even on slow days. I just read ibuprofen might cause retention and I have been taking that a lot so I wonder if that's contributing. Guess Ill try to lay off of it and see if it helps because I feel so "full" too. I actually feel swollen all over lol but 5lbs? It just seems so excessive... I gained 11 in water once but I was pregnant LOL
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Op take it easy with the walking if your ankles are sore. Rest those ankles to avoid injury. You need to also rest when you are sick, to heal faster. I gain 5lbs just from ovulation and pms and lose all of it after my TOM. Assuming you are honest with your daily food log, using a food scale, weight fluctuation is perfectly normal. Just watch your overal trend to make sure you are losing. If you haven't taken any measurements then start doing that as well. They'll be some months that you don't lose any pounds and still lose inches. For reference I walk between 5-6 miles a day and eat between 1400-1550 calories a day and I'm short and I still lose weight. The beauty about CO/CI you don't need to work yourself to death to lose the weight, just maintain a deficit.
  • Verity1111
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Op take it easy with the walking if your ankles are sore. Rest those ankles to avoid injury. You need to also rest when you are sick, to heal faster. I gain 5lbs just from ovulation and pms and lose all of it after my TOM. Assuming you are honest with your daily food log, using a food scale, weight fluctuation is perfectly normal. Just watch your overal trend to make sure you are losing. If you haven't taken any measurements then start doing that as well. They'll be some months that you don't lose any pounds and still lose inches. For reference I walk between 5-6 miles a day and eat between 1400-1550 calories a day and I'm short and I still lose weight. The beauty about CO/CI you don't need to work yourself to death to lose the weight, just maintain a deficit.

Yes I have a food scale and I dont get a period (depo provera) but I did spot twice maybe tmi but I wonder if I could be retaining water due to my period without actually having it? strange thought lol... I think being sick was causing it to try to happen but it hasnt still. Anyway, Thank you so much. I swear I start panicking in my head sometimes maybe my TDEE is wrong and its like 1000 lol Im 170+ lbs and 5'4" and only 27 years old so even if sedentary or lightly active Im pretty sure thats wrong. Lol
  • Anon2018
    Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

It is :( No car. I mean sometimes I catch a bus but like the other day I missed it so I walked 6.3 miles home plus I walk between classes (in college) and its a decent sized campus so I get in 1-3 miles just for that. I also walk my daughter to school (about .8 miles total there and back together) and other things... plus I have 3 kids and the younger 2 have delays/disabilities. So Im pretty busy even on slow days. I just read ibuprofen might cause retention and I have been taking that a lot so I wonder if that's contributing. Guess Ill try to lay off of it and see if it helps because I feel so "full" too. I actually feel swollen all over lol but 5lbs? It just seems so excessive... I gained 11 in water once but I was pregnant LOL

You don't need to take it easy on the ibuprofen. Continue to take it if it makes you feel better. When you get better the water weight will fall off. Weight loss isn't linear.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Anon2018 wrote: »

You don't need to take it easy on the ibuprofen. Continue to take it if it makes you feel better. When you get better the water weight will fall off. Weight loss isn't linear.

Yeah but Id rather be in pain than feel fat on Halloween lol Sorry. Its my favorite day. If I can even try to get back to my normal weight I will enjoy myself more.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    maybe bike instead of walking. If is faster and will be easier on your ankles, though you will probably burn less cals by doing so too.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Yeah but Id rather be in pain than feel fat on Halloween lol Sorry. Its my favorite day. If I can even try to get back to my normal weight I will enjoy myself more.

If that's how you feel you may want to speak to a doctor, it's a very disordered mindset.

Yeah, I mean that's how I feel on some days, but I *know* I've got issues, and I've got a therapist...
  • Verity1111
    Options

If that's how you feel you may want to speak to a doctor, it's a very disordered mindset.

Lol. Agree to disagree. I'd rather be happy and be able to enjoy myself later on a day I have been thinking about for 364 days. A little pain right now won't kill me.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    maybe bike instead of walking. If is faster and will be easier on your ankles, though you will probably burn less cals by doing so too.

I don't own a bike and to be honest I am awful at using them so Id likely fall. lol. If I was on the street Id have a panic attack. I own a trike though. lol. (adult sized)
  • Verity1111
    edited October 2017
    Options

Yeah, I mean that's how I feel on some days, but I *know* I've got issues, and I've got a therapist...

Oh I definitely have issues but this in my opinion isnt one of them. I am already planning next Halloween (2018) and the one after that... I just LOVE Halloween! I still trick or treat. lol. With my kids sure but Id go by myself even if I didnt have kids. Lol. I like it more than Christmas and to be honest I don't really even like candy. lol. I want to look and feel awful and my costume was like $80 soooo Id rather not be too big to fit it or feel all bloated and awful so I cant even enjoy it.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a lot of sodium? and you might be retaining water which is something that happens to all of us. But like others said stay off the ankle for a bit. You might be more disappointed that you can't trick or treat during Halloween because you can't walk if you continue to do so and not rest. Your body needs rest in order to feel better. As far as the whole you don't want to be bloated during it, I get it, but you have to listen to your body, it's telling you something, and continuing to do what you are doing is not going to help it at all.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

It's not that you want to enjoy Halloween or even endure pain, it's the fact that a number on the scale is directly tied to your happiness and your willingness to make other sacrifices that's disordered.

Ohh yeah that. Well of course I have that problem. As I said I had an eating disorder. that wont ever change. My weight is tied to my self worth it is what it is.
  • Verity1111
    edited October 2017
    Options

Lol. Agree to disagree. I'd rather be happy and be able to enjoy myself later on a day I have been thinking about for 364 days. A little pain right now won't kill me.

It makes me sad that you find this funny.

Good luck.

I dont find it funny. I just dont care. As I said how I see myself is really no ones problem but mine and Im ok with it. At least Im not starving myself anymore so I take that as a positive thing. id rather celebrate success then dwell on problems Ill always have. I also didnt ask for your counseling. I asked a simple Q about water weight.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    You have a cold, yes that may cause water retention.
    Your body can still mimic a menstrual cycle and cause water retention.
    If your ill and not eating well, maybe a bit more pre prepared food than normal, you may be getting more sodium than normal, water retention.

All your stars may just have aligned!
    Try drinking a bit more water than usual to help flush it out, and if you can take the bus, the walking if not an everyday event may have caused temporary water retention.

As for your ankles. I know you have a busy life, but if you can lie on your back with your legs straight up a wall for 15 mins a 2-3 times day, it will help drain the fluid build up. (My travel doc has me do this when I get travel cankles :))

Cheers, h.
  • Verity1111
    edited October 2017
    Options
    craziedani wrote: »
    Are you eating a lot of sodium? and you might be retaining water which is something that happens to all of us. But like others said stay off the ankle for a bit. You might be more disappointed that you can't trick or treat during Halloween because you can't walk if you continue to do so and not rest. Your body needs rest in order to feel better. As far as the whole you don't want to be bloated during it, I get it, but you have to listen to your body, it's telling you something, and continuing to do what you are doing is not going to help it at all.

How much is a lot? IDK I think even on low calories I eat 2000-3000. I eat a lot of boxed crap because I have 3 kids and they all have special diets. I guess I get the whole ankle thing and it seems a little bit better right now compared to a few days ago when I walked 10-15 miles because I only did about 5 yesterday. But I dont want to not exercise at all because that isnt healthy either :/ Maybe Ill do windmills with my arms or something Lol