I hate strength training... Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Options
I've been doing regular cardio for about 9 months now, which helped me lose over 40 lbs. I feel great and am pretty close to my goal weight, but I want to start building more muscle at this point. I feel like I could easily run 5 miles, but I wouldn't be able to lift more than 50 lbs. I've been doing some very light strength training in an attempt to retain some muscle during weight loss, but it's been limited to things like planks, a few sets of crunches and pushups, and lunges.

I would like to step it up but I really kind of hate strength training... It's hard for me and most "normal" strength exercises cause my joints to hurt (lunges bother my knees, pushups irritate my shoulders, etc). I'm still fairly young so I'm wondering if the joint pain might just be a symptom of a lack of adequate strength; has anyone else experienced that? I don't think I'm pushing myself too hard and it doesn't cause ongoing pain (just while I'm doing the exercise). I know the best thing to do would be to see a personal trainer but that's not exactly in the budget right now; does anyone have any tips on how to develop a reasonable strength training regimen as a total novice? Appreciate the help :smile:

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Remember that you did not start being able to run five miles. You built up to it, and it probably took months. And I doubt it was much fun that first week/month. But, then you started making progress and ......
    Same here. Go slow -- don't make it super painful -- but be regular. Strength will come.
    If I were you, I would Google: "Body-weight exercises" or "body-weight exercise regimens" and see where that leads you.
    Weights and/or a serious gym routine can wait.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Form is everything. Check out videos online to get an idea of correct form. With pushups, for example, hands placed too wide, elbows too flared will put more pressure on shoulder joints. Lunges that involve too long a step and/or too wide a stance will put pressure on knee and hip joints. Pain while doing an exercise is a good indication of wrong form, too much weight, or structural body problems, or a combination of any or all of those.

A structured program is better than random stuff if you are aiming for visible or functional results. I had a good experience with New Rules of Lifting for Women, and now with Strong (by the same authors) - my goals are more functional, such as being able to lug 40# sacks of pet food up flights of stairs, haul myself onto the edge of a pool without looking like a sea lion, trek up and down mountains, etc.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Could be doing it wrong but some people just do not like it. I am pretty good at running, and I hate it.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,234 Member
    Options
    I do strength training because my coach makes me. I really don’t enjoy it all that much. I do like having the strength to function in daily life, but I don’t really get pumped up about doing weightlifting workouts. I mean someone has to wrestle my 100+ pound a-hole dog into the tub for a bath after she rolls in goose poop. So I lift weights because that someone is me, and set goals so I feel like I have a reason to lift weights, but I don’t get all excited about it.

That said-there are lots of ways to skin a cat. There are lots of ways to do resistance training/strength training. You might find you like some more than others (I do). You might find that changing a grip or stance may help with joint pains. You might find bodyweight stuff is your jam. You might find barbell stuff isn’t so bad, or maybe machines are tolerable. Perhaps you’ll like using bands or kettlebells or something else altogether or a combo of a bunch of things.

It’s important to do some kind of strength training for general health, life skills and to help retain muscle as you lose weight. It’s also ok to not like it much. Some people don’t like cardio. Sometimes it’s just different strokes for different folks.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Make sure you warm up adequately. It can take about 10 min. Just like the first mi!e of your runs probably suck, the first 10 min of strength training can feel pretty creaky too. I don't know if I "like" strength training, but I LOVE getting stronger!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    If you can swing it, see a personal trainer a few times. It's amazing what you can learn from a pro.
  • Kellylovefit
    Kellylovefit Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm obsessed with strength training! Once you learn the basics (including proper form) I find it makes me feel very powerful and strong.

Plus you burn more calories at rest after a strength training workout vs cardio.

( I secretly never do cardio)

[edited by mods]
  • bee_bee8
    bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Some great tips in here. I'm sure my form is off, so I'll definitely do some more research on that. Warming up is something I hadn't really considered even though it seems obvious... I definitely know I need to do that for my cardio workouts! I'm hoping as I get stronger (and improve my form) I won't find strength workouts so tedious. I used to hate cardio too but now I like it :-)
  • bee_bee8
    bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm obsessed with strength training! Once you learn the basics (including proper form) I find it makes me feel very powerful and strong.

Plus you burn more calories at rest after a strength training workout vs cardio.

( I secretly never do cardio)

[edited by mods]

That would be awesome! Mind if I add you? I'd love to learn more about different kinds of strength exercises and the best way to target certain areas.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Your best bet would be to prioritize getting the funds for a trainer to learn the basics. It's an investment in yourself that will be a huge return when you are on the road of strength training properly
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    bee_bee8 wrote: »
    most "normal" strength exercises cause my joints to hurt (lunges bother my knees, pushups irritate my shoulders, etc).

i was 49 when i started lifting and i have rheumatoid arthritis (technically - i can't pretend i haven't been very very lucky with how aggressive mine is). and yet i don't think lifting itself ever bothered my joints, except when i was doing something in the wrong way.

so a vote for exploring form improvements before giving up, but i understand how training can get expensive and it's also a bit of a crap-shoot - it can take a while before you find someone you like. i personally got a lot of mileage out of mark rippetoe's book 'starting strength' which a lovely mfp member mailed to me in my first year.

[edit: as far as finding a trainer, i suggest you eavesdrop on the ones who are already there in your gym, assuming you're lifting at one and assuming there are trainers who work with clients in the same space. i held off for a year and a half before going looking for mine, but the time was well worth it. just by listening in, i learned so much about how to assess a trainer's match with my needs and my temperament, so when i finally did go looking i knew how to find someone i've enjoyed working with now for a little bit more than two years]

but i'll admit too that i'm just inherently obsessed with lifting; i really like it so that makes the fact i spend hours trolling the internet and fine-tuning my kinesiological awareness seem worthwhile to me. if lifting isn't for you then perhaps it's just not. i'm not sure i'll ever get that interested in figuring out how to run or do yoga, to think of just two examples.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    bee_bee8 wrote: »
    I've been doing regular cardio for about 9 months now, which helped me lose over 40 lbs. I feel great and am pretty close to my goal weight, but I want to start building more muscle at this point. I feel like I could easily run 5 miles, but I wouldn't be able to lift more than 50 lbs. I've been doing some very light strength training in an attempt to retain some muscle during weight loss, but it's been limited to things like planks, a few sets of crunches and pushups, and lunges.

I would like to step it up but I really kind of hate strength training... It's hard for me and most "normal" strength exercises cause my joints to hurt (lunges bother my knees, pushups irritate my shoulders, etc). I'm still fairly young so I'm wondering if the joint pain might just be a symptom of a lack of adequate strength; has anyone else experienced that? I don't think I'm pushing myself too hard and it doesn't cause ongoing pain (just while I'm doing the exercise). I know the best thing to do would be to see a personal trainer but that's not exactly in the budget right now; does anyone have any tips on how to develop a reasonable strength training regimen as a total novice? Appreciate the help :smile:

Personally I find strength training really dull, but it's a necessary part of my running training. What I've found is that I can build a bodyweight routine in by integrating with other training. I'll run or cycle to the park or up to the woods, do a session then head home. That lessens the tedium as I can do the circuit in an environment that's more motivational to me than staring at a blank wall.

With respect to the pain, I'd support the comments upthread about form. It may be you're trying too much too soon. As with running, it takes time to adapt and build up your capacity.