I binged today.

Options
I always have a cheat day, but today it turned into a binge. I have over 4k calories. I am really bloated. I have bloated over 4lbs. I am going to be back on track tomorrow, but the bloat has me feeling horrible. How long will it take to flush the sodium out? I am drinking water as I type this out haha.

Replies

• godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You probably won't do that again, will you? Hope you feel better soon. This might be bad advice, I'm not sure, but maybe try a laxative. That will help everything "move along", and flush your system out. Again, this is not to support any bulemic tendencies of binging and purging, but once in a while if I feel bloated, I don't think it hurts to take something. Taking laxatives all the time is not a good way to lose weight.
  • blogilates123
    Options
    Oh man, do I feel ya! I used to do regular binges to deal with emotions: happy, sad, stressed, whatever, I would pig out. In my experience, you will feel crappy enough for the next couple of days to want to starve yourself. DON'T DO IT. The most important thing here is not to beat yourself up, it's to get back on track with eating healthy and exercising. I guess you could take laxatives but it seems like more of a "quick fix" option. I wouldn't take anything without consulting a doctor or dietician, because you never know what could happen. I'm sorry this happened to you, and I totally get what you're going through. But seriously, don't get discouraged because EVERY dieter goes through this. It's just a bump in the road, and you're going to get right back up. One tip though: a cheat day might not work for some people because after depriving yourself for a week, you tend to go insane on your cheat day. After failing miserably with cheat days, I decided to just allow myself a little tiny portion of whatever "bad" food I was craving. This worked for me to keep binging at bay, you might want to try it.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I am a binge-eater too, so I really feel your pain. Just remember tomorrow is another day. Raise your workout time a little bit everyday this week to make up for it. Do you know what triggered it?
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've found that having a cheat day does not work for me. It seems that once I've given myself permission to cheat ... I definitely cheat way toooooo much! So, I've tried to eliminate "cheating" from my vocabulary. Instead, I try to eat healthy as much as possible. When I feel the need for a "treat" (like chocolate), I try to find a good way to fit it into my day. Take chocolate. I am definitely a chocoholic. I usually have the Popsicle sugar free fudgesicles in my freezer. They help satisfy my need for chocolate or for ice cream. But once in a while, I want that "real" melt in your mouth piece of chocolate. So, I walk several blocks to the gas station and buy ONE square of Ghiradelli chocolate. I make myself wait until after I've walked home and then make a production of eating that one square in small bites letting each melt in my mouth a bit before swallowing. My brain is happy and satisfied, and I'm happy to have had that one piece of chocolate. If it's something else, like cheesecake, I have a very small portion or just a few bites then push it away. Then I feel happy to have had it and happy to have had only a small amount.

The important thing for you now, do not "under eat" to compensate! Eat a "regular" amount of healthy food. You may want to increase your water intake a bit to help flush out your system. And, you might want to increase your exercise level a bit for the next few days. Instead of taking a laxative, eat foods that contain more fiber. Laxatives can strip your system of the good bacteria it needs to process foods and can cause more harm than good. So, avoid them if you don't really need them.

And stay positive. Don't beat yourself up for "binging" ... instead praise yourself for getting back on track, for drinking more water, for doing more exercise.

Good Luck! :drinker:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    When something like a binge happens, I force myself to worry more about getting back to normal rather than "making up for" the binge. It happened, it's over, don't worry about it anymore. (: It will probably take a few days to flush the excess sodium out, so just drink lots of water and keep on track with your normal food and exercise routine.