Hi there VEGANS!! :)

Please please add me any vegans out there! Need some tips on nutrition and lifestyle :) I want to feel like I'm not alone because my family keeps pressurizing me on the negative impacts of not eating meat, sending me numerous articles and keeps regarding veganism with contempt and disdain.

That's all for now :) Hope to make some new friends ~

Replies

• Heather_J_May
    Heather_J_May Posts: 72 Member
    I'm not vegan but am vegetarian. I'd like to be vegan but I have come across similar attitudes that you have. My mother gave me a free range chicken and said I had to eat it because it had 'had a nice life!' She really wasn't happy with me when I refused. Count me as a friend anyway!
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    For nutrition, I just usually follow the basic guidelines from Ginny Messina @ http://www.theveganrd.com
  • weightlosssloth
    weightlosssloth Posts: 5 Member
    Hiya, veggie here, no eggs, very little dairy, no butter etc here so almost vegan! I used to have this problem with my flatmate in that she absolutly distained vegans and would mock me if I ate a plant based diet, some super nasty stuff. But then she was about 100lbs overweight and gaining at about 5lbs per year so who really had the health problems!

My nutrition tips:
    1) Eat enough
    2) If you cant cook well then learn, there are lots of vegan recipies out there. If you cant cook for youself you'll likely not get a good balance of nutrition
    3) Familiarise yourself with different grains -> bulghar, armarth, quinoa, teff... the list goes on and eat plenty of them
    4) Eat enough protien -> pulses, tofu, soy yoghurt (i personally also like a good vegan protien powder)
    5) Watch your macros, if you can also track your micros for a while just to check your getting the right balance
    6) Think about supplementing with vitamins D and B12

Feel free to add me :)
  • Jaimefm387
    Jaimefm387 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone! (PS. SAME...with the whole family not approving of veganism thing)
    I'm pretty new to veganism. I started transitioning in September and at this point I still occasionally have dairy but, I'm working on cutting it out all together. I'm also working on incorporating healthier vegan food items into my diet. It is super easy to find stuff that is Vegan but, still unhealthy (hello, nondairy ice cream & sweet chili doritos!)Prior to this I've been a vegetarian for over a year.
  • geltner1
    geltner1 Posts: 85 Member
    The library can be so helpful. There are lots of vegan cookbooks around. One thing I've found. If you buy dried beans, then soak and boil them at home, they tasted much better than canned or frozen. Reminds me, I want to buy some dried black eyed peas and try a new recipe. Good luck ! It is worth it for your health.