Birth control pill to help with pms?

Options
Anyone take or recommend a bcp to help reduce pms symptoms? Cravings? No weight gain? Basically a magic pill, haha! This cycle has been a hard one craving and eating wise! Holy cow!!!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Your doctor would be the best one to speak to on this, Birth Control can have completely different effects from person-to-person.

Weight gain with medication is down to water retention and/or increased appetite so it can be managed. What I tend to do is eat at maintenance the week before my period and have a few more carbs to feed the cravings. Can't do anything about the water retention but it's not fat so I don't really care about it, it usually flushes out of my system if I up my water intake.
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for years. It really reduced my physical pain! I never had a lot of emotional symptoms so can't speak to that. I gained about 5 pounds when I first went on it but that was it. Some months I forget I'm even pms'ing, others I do have symptoms such as headache or backache, cramps but they are way, way less than they were before. I still get cravings for food so I wouldn't count on the pill being a cure-all for that!
  • fasterfastest
    fasterfastest Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use birth control to manage my dysmenorrhea (very painful periods) and the emotional effects as well. It definitely helps me with cravings and water retention fluctuations. It kind of does help me lose weight by helping to keep me stable and pain free so I can focus on my goals.

Definitely talk to your doctor about it though, there are some side effects for many people, so you'll want to talk those over with them first!

Good luck!
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Thanks!