Fitbit exercise: HELP!

Ok, so I wear my Fitbit religiously. I’ve noted that on days when I don’t officially exercise my Fitbit will sync to MFP saying “300” in exercise, which is subtracted from my intake and therefore increasing my caloric allowance. Now. I am trying to figure out where this exercise is coming from... my daily steps??
Also, if this “exercise” is actually just my normal daily activity should I actually allow myself to eat some of these calories back?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Yes, a synced Fitbit will result in MFP calorie adjustments for all activities that put you over your estimated calorie expenditure for the day, whether they are intentional exercise or not. So even when you don't do official exercise, you may see an adjustment.

Why wouldn't you eat them? Your body doesn't know the difference between intentional exercise and daily steps, they're both using energy.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    I ate back all of my Fitbit Calorie Adjustments when losing and still eat back all of them while maintaining.

Fitbit users will get one Fitbit Calorie Adjustment that is applied to the MFP "Exercise" number each time the two applications sync throughout the day. That adjustment includes Calories earned from steps and any individual exercises logged in Fitbit.

If the Fitbit Calorie Adjustment is positive, that means that the total estimated Calories earned from steps and exercises have exceeded your MFP Activity Level setting and your MFP daily goal will be increased. Since the adjustment will update throughout the day, if you stop moving many hours before midnight, the earned Calories may decrease a little until the final sync at midnight.

I would recommend reading through the first three posts in this thread on the MFP Fitbit Users group...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,116 Member
    edited October 2017
    The fitbit adjustment isn't necessarily exercise. It is the difference between how many calories mfp thinks you will burn versus how many fitbit shows that you burn. You may be burning more through exercise but it may just be that you are more active than your selected activity level. And yes you should be eating at least a portion of those extra calories.