Feeling overwhelmed

Options
Anyone feeling overwhelmed and just wondering how to manage it? Do you have things you do that help when you feel this way?

I used to stress eat all day when I felt like this. I know I have to deal with the feelings if the stress eating urge is ever going to go away!

Replies

• brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I started running after going through a particularly difficult emotional period of my life. I've always run without music or other distractions, and preferably by myself, so I find it very pacifying. Long distance cycling, which I got into later, has a similar effect on me at least.

Those emotional conditions were due to a root cause which I couldn't really attack head-on, as it were. Were I able to I certainly would have taken that approach as well.
  • 43Kathy2017
    43Kathy2017 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When you feel stressed out just don’t stop working out! That’s when you need it the most. Even if your workouts aren’t great just push through it. That accomplishment alone can help turn things around. It gives you control on at least one thing in your life! Good luck and just never give up... I know it sounds trite but this too shall pass!
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Agreed with above posters. Do something active, get outside, drink some water. Don't focus on what is in the kitchen that you could snack on, keep occupied with something else. This too shall pass.
  • jenna_mikewolf
    jenna_mikewolf Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started running after going through a particularly difficult emotional period of my life. I've always run without music or other distractions, and preferably by myself, so I find it very pacifying. Long distance cycling, which I got into later, has a similar effect on me at least.

Those emotional conditions were due to a root cause which I couldn't really attack head-on, as it were. Were I able to I certainly would have taken that approach as well.

I agree! I took up walk/jog/ running and find it to be a great soul soother. I do use music or meditation tracks when I run. I have 5 children, so I usually pick a park to run in so that the kids can play while I run. It's good for all of us and it certainly helps our night time routine.

• barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    When I run I'm lost in my own little world.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a natural mood booster, so stay active. Coping skills such as deep breathing exercises can also help you get through a bad moment - breathe in for 5, hold for 5, exhale for 5.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, I feel overwhelmed regularly. I find that taking a walk in nature and keeping a reflective journal helps. Sometimes it helps to tell someone how you feel, even if it seems a trivial thing, actually it can help to gain a different perspective by discussing it. I hope you find some kind of peace soon, lord knows I am still searching for mine! :smile:
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Yes, work has been very demanding for me the last 2 months. And at 51, I have a very well entrenched habit to eat carbs like oatmeal, cereal, and granola bars for comfort from stress. I have seriously considered changing jobs. I try to get away for lunch to run, but 80% of the time, I cant get away for lunch. Following th ethread for words of wisdom.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm enjoying everyone's responses. Thanks for sharing - good to hear I'm not the only one. I am overdue for a nice long run alone (rather than with my overexcitable dogs). It really can be the best for clearing mental space. I realize now that I should also be forcing walks at other times during the day, too, not just as my morning workout.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    In the past when I felt overwhelmed I dumped my exercise routine without a second thought. I needed the time to get through whatever excess challenges I had. The problem is that it works in the short term. Ditto for the extra energy increasing my carbs and sweets gives me. But often these challenges last for weeks and months and this new lifestyle quickly makes me LESS productive. I'd like to think that I won't do that again in the future. But I also am less likely now to get into those situations in the first place.

In terms of what to do right now, I agree with the others that exercise, especially in nature if possible, really helps. My new thing though, when I'm running the same thought through my head without making progress towards a solution, is to stop and meditate. I can't do it on my own, I need a guided app. Headspace is the one I use. I tried a bunch on YouTube but found most of them not to be a match for me. If the speaker gets on your nerves just look for a better match.