Always cold (especially fingers)

Options
So I am always freezing, and I know its a result of losing weight, as I have lost the weight before and am now doing it again since I had another baby and gained 36lbs. I used to be the one who had my heater set to 65F and sleep in a tank top and shorts with just a light blanket, now its 69F sweats pants and sweat shirt, and 1 or 2 blankets, and Im usually still cold. This is seriously the WORST thing about weight loss. And this is worse than last time I lost weight, not sure why. I even have a space heater at my desk and wear usually a sweater and a jacket, ugh, and its only October, I live in Montana so winter will be soooo much worse soon.

The problem is mainly my fingers, I cant stand cold fingers, but i cant warm them up, ever, they are always cold, and I dont want to wear gloves all the time, grr. Who can relate

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Try to move more. Circulating blood will help you warm up.

Do a couple of squats or jumping jacks at your desk and I bet you'll notice a HUGE difference!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Same here but it's even worse when I don't get enough sleep.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have been known to wear fingerless gloves at work...I have a space heater under my desk that runs all year long...I have a sweater at work at all times..I also have a blanket for when it's really bad. I'm ALWAYS cold, and unfortunately never heat up when I gain weight. I'm close to my lowest adult weight ever currently (which is where I plan to stay...hopefully). I have been here before and thought it might be warmer to gain a few, but it never changed my internal temp.

My boyfriend has been trying for years to talk me into winter sports and I cringe. I'm chilly in 70 degree weather, what's snow going to be like...LOL During the winter in Ohio I basically hibernate.
  • Mhendrick01
    Mhendrick01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing. The irony is my wife is currently having hot flashes, so when this happens I use my cold fingers on the back of her neck to provide her relief.

One thing I am doing is drinking hot liquids(tea/coffee). If nothing else holding a warm mug helps
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »

Do a couple of squats or jumping jacks at your desk and I bet you'll notice a HUGE difference!

im a school nurse in a huge school, so im moving constantly. but it doesnt help that my office is the center of 3 doors so cold air gets pushed into out room a,d with tile floors it makes it worse.
  • angmarie28
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing. The irony is my wife is currently having hot flashes, so when this happens I use my cold fingers on the back of her neck to provide her relief.

One thing I am doing is drinking hot liquids(tea/coffee). If nothing else holding a warm mug helps

yes, I constantly have a cup of coffee or hot tea in my hands, lol
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way but was diagnosed with Raynauds, do your fingers turn to white or purple when they are cold? I am not on medication because the only medication they put you on is blood pressure meds and my blood pressure is naturally low. I have it worse in my toes, one toe turns purple/black in the winter. I wear wool socks, dress warmly and have toe warmers (the disposable kind) for really bad days. They make hand warmers too. But I suggest fingerless gloves. Good luck!
  • angmarie28
    Options
    ganzelly wrote: »
    I'm the same way but was diagnosed with Raynauds, do your fingers turn to white or purple when they are cold? I am not on medication because the only medication they put you on is blood pressure meds and my blood pressure is naturally low. I have it worse in my toes, one toe turns purple/black in the winter. I wear wool socks, dress warmly and have toe warmers (the disposable kind) for really bad days. They make hand warmers too. But I suggest fingerless gloves. Good luck!

its definetly not Raynauds. i think a part of my issue is i have been running a lot more, i did 2 marathons this year, but prior to that, I ran like 1 or 2 miles, so my already low blood pressure and HR and even lower
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm very active with intentional exercise, but I'm always cold. I have chalked it up to size (5'6" 125), but it's my fingers and toes that are the worst. My husband actually commented the other day when he held my hand that my hand was actually warm...because it's always cold. I suspect Raynauds in myself (my one finger always turns stark white), but haven't done anything toward an official diagnosis.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The coldness can come about from hypothyroidism as well. If it lasts, or is accompanied by fatigue, dry or flaky skin, or hairloss, it could be something to take to a doctor.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »

im a school nurse in a huge school, so im moving constantly. but it doesnt help that my office is the center of 3 doors so cold air gets pushed into out room a,d with tile floors it makes it worse.

Is there a way for you to get a standing desk? I'm literally typing this at mine, and I instantly warm up just from standing up. It's kind of a drag, because you just want to curl up into a ball in your chair, but hot air rises, so it *should* be ever so slightly warmed higher up. Or maybe that's just placebo effect....
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have/had the same problem and found out I was severely anemic. Once I got my iron levels in line the problem is much less severe.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have it worse when I cycle a lot, or use the elliptical. Something about circulation.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    When my thyroid levels are out of whack I have this problem. How long has it been since you had bloodwork done?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Lots of guesses and plenty of internet diagnoses we can throw around. Get you some blood work done, it can tell you so many things going on with your health!!
  • Johns_Dope_AF
    Johns_Dope_AF Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    So I am always freezing, and I know its a result of losing weight, as I have lost the weight before and am now doing it again since I had another baby and gained 36lbs. I used to be the one who had my heater set to 65F and sleep in a tank top and shorts with just a light blanket, now its 69F sweats pants and sweat shirt, and 1 or 2 blankets, and Im usually still cold. This is seriously the WORST thing about weight loss. And this is worse than last time I lost weight, not sure why. I even have a space heater at my desk and wear usually a sweater and a jacket, ugh, and its only October, I live in Montana so winter will be soooo much worse soon.

The problem is mainly my fingers, I cant stand cold fingers, but i cant warm them up, ever, they are always cold, and I dont want to wear gloves all the time, grr. Who can relate

Me too!!!
  • Johns_Dope_AF
    Johns_Dope_AF Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I really thought I was the only one. I'm constantly sitting on one hand in my office. My thyroid is fine and I dont really do much cardio at all.

• angmarie28
    Options

Is there a way for you to get a standing desk? I'm literally typing this at mine, and I instantly warm up just from standing up. It's kind of a drag, because you just want to curl up into a ball in your chair, but hot air rises, so it *should* be ever so slightly warmed higher up. Or maybe that's just placebo effect....

im actually investing in a thing to put under my computer to make it a stand up desk :)

• angmarie28
    Options
    My thyroid is fine, I get blood work done every year at work, Our insurance company does a big clinic free of charge for anyone on their insurance. My Iron is also fine, I take a daily supplement of Iron, and again have blood work done regularly, everything is fine. this happens when I get under 160lbs, and I think its worse since I run a lot now.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Nope, you are not alone...when in deficit at any weight I get colder quicker. As soon as I eat at maintenance, I am fine and tend to run hotter...