Confused about where to focus efforts.

Options
I am 72 and need to lose 75-100 lbs. I am also type 1 diabetic, so I've recently been following a low carb diet at the recommendation of my general physician. I'm finding it very slow going and would appreciate any suggestions on where to focus efforts.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Focus on honest food logging and patience. You have to pick correct entries from the food database, log everything you eat/drink (that has calories), in the exact amount that you consume (use a food scale), hit your calorie goal +/-50 every day, and expect to lose up to 2 pounds per week on average - "water weight" fluctuations can be larger than weekly loss, so weigh yourself regularly and don't panic, just trust the process.

This means that you can eat enough, you can eat food you like, and you can exercise moderately, eliminating three of the biggest hurdles for weightloss: the perceived need to starve oneself, exhausting gym routines and strange, boring food.

This also means that you have no excuses ;) Welcome to MFP :)
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Number one focus will be staying within your allotted calories which is what accounts for the weight loss. I assume you're probably at or close to 1200 calories because as we get older (I'm 63) our BMR's drop (accounts for lower metabolism) and we need less calories to maintain our bodies. You will probably have a deficit around 500 calories which will mean 1 lb. loss per week. If you add in some exercise (I even count things like housework and yardwork up to 250 calories) you can eat about half of those calories if you need to. In addition, many of us become more sedentary. Secondly, I assume your doctor put you on a low carb diet because of your diabetes. You can change the macro amounts under the web base HOME:GOALS. You have to choose the percentages (don't know if he gave you a baseline), but I have mine set at 45% carbs/35% fat/ 20% protein. Everyone seems to have a different take on what is best for them. I'll send you a friend request if you like. I have my food diary open for friends, so it will give you an idea of what 1200 calories looks like.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Because you have type 1 diabetes, you're going to have challenges others do not. 1st and foremost is of course, manage your blood sugars. If your primary care doctor hasn't done it yet, ask for a referral to a dietitian who specializes in working with diabetics. You should also make an appointment with your endocrinologist for help managing your insulin as you lose weight.