Does Stevia make you hungrier and crave sugar more?

Options
For those of you on low sugar/no added sugar diets have you noticed that trying to use replacement sugar makes you want the real thing MORE? I notice every time I eat something with stevia in it I am hungrier then ever! Or maybe its just a coincidence? Wondering if anyone else notices that. I hope that's not the case because my sugar free pecan crumble cake has been a lifesaver when I just NEED something sweet.

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I think the calorie deficit is probably making you hungrier than stevia.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Nope...actually, I don't really like Stevia as it has a bitter aftertaste to me...my diet sodas are usually aspartame. I have a diet Fresca or diet A&W about once per day to break up the monotony of water.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I use stevia for tea and coffee only sparingly. If I add to things I cook it can make food bitter tasting to me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict sugar any more but years of diabetic training gave me lots of practice. I prefer vegetables over fruit, nuts and cheese to fill me up.

I have aspartame, stevia, sucralose, and saccharine based products in my cupboard and I use them interchangeably when I want to have sweetness without calories. Stevia is tolerated better when I include vanilla and cinnamon.

I don't believe any sweeteners make me crave more.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    There's stevia in the chocolate MyProtein powder that I use. It doesn't make me crave more stevia laced protein powder or "real" sugar for that matter.

I very seldom use any refined sugar or eat any baked goods with any refined sugar in it. I just add some honey or agave to my fruit and yogurt on occasion. I don't drink sodas anymore either.

So, most of the sugar I get occurs naturally in the fruit and veggies that I eat, juices that I drink or is aded to some prepared products - - like ketchup, jams or jellies and peanut butter - - that I still can't resist.

Nobody's perfect. LOL! ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I typically have 1-2 packets a day in my tea or coffee. I haven't noticed any cravings as a result.

Note: I am not on a limited sugar diet.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    They all do that to me... make me crave carbs like crazy. Go figure.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I can't get past the bitter aftertaste with stevia. My preferred sweetener is sucralose (I use a liquid form I get from Amazon), and no, it does not make me crave anything.
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do notice that artificial sweeteners (aspartame mainly) make me crave more sweets. I try to stay away from them as much as possible.