Am I right in doing this??

Options
I'm changing my calorie goal to 1500 per day, based on this from a calorie calculator: Maintenance: 2159, Fat Loss: 1728, Extreme Fat Loss: 1549. Total 'plateau' at 86-88 kilos and getting depressed :( Based on my reading and knowledge, I am going into starvation mode by sticking to 1200 calories per day. Going to try 1500 per day and keep up the exercise to see how it goes.

Can anyone provide any feedback please? Am I doing the right thing, considering the numbers given above??

Isabeau

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Have you tried working out your TDEE (see link below)? If you're working out regularly, it might help to get a better calorie idea, without the hassle of trying to work out calories burned for every workout. What kind of workouts are you doing?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    taking anything between 10-20% off of your maintenance figure should work fine to lose weight.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Listen to to what snazzyjazzy said and follow that link for sure. I think you are still probably too low at 1500 but do the link and you'll know for sure. Just be certain you get the activity level correct otherwise it's no use. Stick with it after a while after you do it if you want to see results. Dan that wrote the road map knows what he's saying.
  • Isabeauseawolf
    Isabeauseawolf Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing 3 weight-training/lifting based workouts a week broken up into Legs, Chest and Back and Arms and Shoulders. They range from 60-90 minutes with 35-45 minutes of treadmill after each workout. I haven't calculated my TDEE but I'll do so tonight. Just a side note, 475 of my calories per day are made up of protein shakes (first thing in the morning, pre and post workout) so that takes a sizeable chunk of my daily calories which is roughly what my workout calories end up being (calculated with myfitnesspal).
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    J475 cals for 3 shakes? what kind of protein powder are you drinking? mine is 100 cals a scoop. (muscle milk lite)
  • Isabeauseawolf
    Options
    Gold Standard Whey and Crossfire. The calories calculated is what myfitnesspal tells me when I put the 'product' in to my daily stats...

TDEE came back as 41.83...so where do I go from here?
  • Isabeauseawolf
    Options
    ...so based on notes from the link above, 30% of 2159 = 647.70...2159 - 647.70 = 1,511.30...so I should be setting my calorie intake at that level daily yeah?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    30% is generally only used when people are considered obese, most people go for 15-20%, which should give you a pound a week. When you've lost 5-10lbs, you'll need to recalculate your TDEE with your new weight.

I'd say you're definitely looking at 1500-1700cals a day though!
  • Cranky55
    Cranky55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss to date.

Taking your calories to 1500 a day should assist you for sure. Like you, I take 3 shakes a day and that equates to about 420 calories. Just careful on the amount of sugars and carbs your getting through out the day, remember some good fats are required for fat loss With the weight training you can increase muscle while losing fat and it balances each out. Look at your size and over all body shape to see if any good changes are happening that may not reflect on the scales.

It is true that a good body is built in the kitchen, and as you lose there is always some tinkering with the types of food to get there.

Keep it up and stay focused on the end.
  • Isabeauseawolf
    Options
    Thankyou so much guys :) I'll stick with the 1500 calories per day because, being only five feet nothing and with a BF of 40%, I am considered 'obese' despite my muscle mass. I'll stick it out for 6 weeks and see how I go. By then, (being optimistic), I will need to recalculate everything again ;) I was seeing the changes in my body shape and on the scales for a little while but then, everything seemed to stall so hopefully, this will be the kick-start I need.

Thanks again so much for the support and advice. It is greatly appreciated :D