Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should the USDA's 'MyPlate' guidelines remain as is, be modified or be scrapped altogether?

Options
PrimalForLife
PrimalForLife Posts: 28 Member
The 'MyPlate' guidelines don't *seem* to be helping Americans solve the growing obesity problem - should the guidelines remain as is, be modified, or be scrapped altogether? Why?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think nutritional guidelines should be based on how people like to eat, not how we "should" eat. It should be balanced more healthily - not restrict fat. Differentiate better between fruit and vegetables, not count juice and dried fruit. Not get hung up in details that are bound to be misinterpreted. It could be rearranged to look more like real meals, and should aim to convey the overall message of variety, balance, home cooked and family meals. I don't know if the current model is viable even with modifications. Brazil's nutritional guidelines are almost perfect and should be the gold standard.
  • PrimalForLife
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think they're fine for the most part...people don't follow them...you could change the guidelines however you like, but if people don't follow them, it doesn't matter.

I don't think obesity has anything to do with my plate guidelines. I don't see double decker bacon cheeseburgers and extra large fries and 32 ounce big gulps or a bunch of high calorie, low nutrient ultra processed foods on my plate...

I agree 'if people don't follow them, (the guidelines) don't matter'. I thought the guidelines were introduced with 'Let'sMove' to try to combat childhood obesity, no?
  • PrimalForLife
    Options
    I think nutritional guidelines should be based on how people like to eat, not how we "should" eat. It should be balanced more healthily - not restrict fat. Differentiate better between fruit and vegetables, not count juice and dried fruit. Not get hung up in details that are bound to be misinterpreted. It could be rearranged to look more like real meals, and should aim to convey the overall message of variety, balance, home cooked and family meals. I don't know if the current model is viable even with modifications. Brazil's nutritional guidelines are almost perfect and should be the gold standard.

I found these (http://www.fao.org/nutrition/education/food-based-dietary-guidelines/regions/countries/brazil/en/) - is that what you are referring to?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

I found these (http://www.fao.org/nutrition/education/food-based-dietary-guidelines/regions/countries/brazil/en/) - is that what you are referring to?
    Yes, that's the one.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think they are fine and agree that most people don't follow them. The myplate website is pretty good IMO and I think it's a good read for people who are entirely clueless about how to eat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't think any guidelines are going to change the fact that most people don't follow guidelines. I also think they aren't perfect -- even the Harvard Nutrition ones I prefer (https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/) can be criticized in one way or another. However, I think given that they are trying to simplify things and aimed at kids, I think they are pretty good.

Also, since this is a common topic at MFP, I rather like this, from the website: http://www.eatright.org/resource/food/nutrition/nutrition-facts-and-food-labels/avoiding-processed-foods
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Anyway, more specifically, here are examples of the advice from MyPlate, which is reasonable and simple, IMO:

"There is more than one way to eat healthfully and everyone has their own eating style. Make healthier choices that reflect your preferences, culture, traditions, and budget. Choose fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy, and protein foods to get the most nutrition and meet your personal calorie needs. Aim for a variety of foods and beverages from each food group and limit saturated fat, sodium, and added sugars."

"What and how much you eat and drink, along with regular physical activity, can help you manage your weight and lower your risk of disease."

"Create an eating style that can improve your health now and in the future by making small changes over time. Consider changes that reflect your personal preferences, culture and traditions. Think of each change as a “win” as you build positive habits and find solutions that reflect your healthy eating style. Each change is a MyWin that can help you build your healthy eating style. Use the tips and links below to find little victories that work for you."

"MAKE HALF YOUR PLATE FRUITS AND VEGETABLES" (their all caps, not mine)

"Vary your veggies to include green, red, and orange choices.
    Add fresh, frozen, or canned vegetables to salads, side dishes, and recipes."

"Choose whole-grain foods more often than refined grains. Make at least half the amount of grains you eat each day whole grains.

Find high fiber, whole-grain foods by reading the Nutrition Facts label and ingredients list."

"Mix up your protein foods to include seafood, beans, nuts, seeds, soy, eggs, lean meats, and poultry.
    Select seafood twice a week, including fish and shellfish.
    Add beans or peas, unsalted nuts and seeds, and soy in main dishes and snacks."

"Read the Nutrition Facts labels to find products with less saturated fat and sodium.
    Use the ingredient list to find choices with less added sugars.
    Cut back on sugary beverages such as fruit drinks and soda."
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Anyway, more specifically, here are examples of the advice from MyPlate, which is reasonable and simple, IMO:

"There is more than one way to eat healthfully and everyone has their own eating style. Make healthier choices that reflect your preferences, culture, traditions, and budget. Choose fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy, and protein foods to get the most nutrition and meet your personal calorie needs. Aim for a variety of foods and beverages from each food group and limit saturated fat, sodium, and added sugars."

"What and how much you eat and drink, along with regular physical activity, can help you manage your weight and lower your risk of disease."

"Create an eating style that can improve your health now and in the future by making small changes over time. Consider changes that reflect your personal preferences, culture and traditions. Think of each change as a “win” as you build positive habits and find solutions that reflect your healthy eating style. Each change is a MyWin that can help you build your healthy eating style. Use the tips and links below to find little victories that work for you."

"MAKE HALF YOUR PLATE FRUITS AND VEGETABLES" (their all caps, not mine)

"Vary your veggies to include green, red, and orange choices.
    Add fresh, frozen, or canned vegetables to salads, side dishes, and recipes."

"Choose whole-grain foods more often than refined grains. Make at least half the amount of grains you eat each day whole grains.

Find high fiber, whole-grain foods by reading the Nutrition Facts label and ingredients list."

"Mix up your protein foods to include seafood, beans, nuts, seeds, soy, eggs, lean meats, and poultry.
    Select seafood twice a week, including fish and shellfish.
    Add beans or peas, unsalted nuts and seeds, and soy in main dishes and snacks."

"Read the Nutrition Facts labels to find products with less saturated fat and sodium.
    Use the ingredient list to find choices with less added sugars.
    Cut back on sugary beverages such as fruit drinks and soda."

I'm down with all of this.

The problem, I agree isn't the guidelines even if they're flawed. It's that people don't follow them. It's that people don't move as much as they used to. It's that people eat too much even if they are following the guidelines (this was true for me, for example).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd even go so far as to say they are "flawed"...more that they are very generalized, which they would have to be. They do address that on their site as @lemurcat12 posted.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd even go so far as to say they are "flawed"...more that they are very generalized, which they would have to be. They do address that on their site as @lemurcat12 posted.

That's a much better way of phrasing it. I like that. "Generalized".
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The 'MyPlate' guidelines don't *seem* to be helping Americans solve the growing obesity problem - should the guidelines remain as is, be modified, or be scrapped altogether? Why?

Do the guidelines mention anything about CICO? Because they should. If they are aiming to help people with obesity, it’s all about CICO.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

That's a much better way of phrasing it. I like that. "Generalized".

Yep, they have to do something that is reasonable for 80-90% of the population, and I think they succeeded at that.

As others have said, following them is a whole other story.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    They are not based on good science. Scrap'em.

What "good science" can you point to that shows the guidelines are directionally incorrect?
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Do the guidelines mention anything about CICO? Because they should. If they are aiming to help people with obesity, it’s all about CICO.

They don't specifically mention CICO, they just focus on portion control and eating more fruits/veggies (which in general are lower calorie then most other foods). I feel this is an indirect way to mention CICO. Some of the more detailed dietary guidelines do mention it.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »

They don't specifically mention CICO, they just focus on portion control and eating more fruits/veggies (which in general are lower calorie then most other foods). I feel this is an indirect way to mention CICO. Some of the more detailed dietary guidelines do mention it.

Simply based on how bad the obesity epidemic is and my own observations, here lies a big part of the problem... the majority of people are NOT good at estimating calories in foods/portions or estimating calories burned in exercise. This is why the public needs to be better informed about CICO in a very direct manner and it should be made a priority.

Just telling people to “control portions” means nothing, just telling people to “moderately exercise” means nothing.

As we calorie counters on mfp know, even small miscalculations of calories add up over time and affect our weight.

It’s a shame how we just keep trying to cover up the elephant in the room with band-aids.

There is an obesity crisis in this country, not just adults either, children and even babies are overweight and obese! It’s time to take real action here and educate the masses. We can put people on the moon but we can’t directly educate the population about CICO, really? We can make cute colorful pictures of what an ideal plate should look like but can’t tell people the truth about calories and how we are seriously disabling our quality of life and ultimately our nation with them? I think it’s time to take off the kid gloves and stop sugar coating the truth, literally. Give the people real information and let them make informed choices. As things are now, I don’t believe people are sufficiently informed and that’s the heart of the problem.
  • lemurcat12
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I don't think kids are obese because people don't know about calories.

I also don't think it's realistic to think that 50% of the population is going to want to count calories rigorously.

Obviously, I agree that people SHOULD learn about calories if they don't know how it works already (and I'd say that that is part of MyPlate, but that there are different levels depending on goal and age group, and it depends also on how it's communicated). But when I went to the website and looked around, I saw a calorie estimator thingy like you have on MFP (but of course you have to be willing to count).

I like counting calories and recommend it (and MFP) to people as a good way to lose weight, but if people really paid attention to serving sizes and followed the advice at MyPlate I think most wouldn't be overweight (I got fat eating a diet that largely (not entirely) followed the food recommendations, as that's how I like to eat, but I overate and knew it (when I forced myself to think about it realistically), and I was too sedentary when gaining). And of course no one eats the (so called) SAD or is totally sedentary because they think it's healthful, and yet lots of people do both.