Recipes within recipes?

Options
zornig
zornig Posts: 336 Member
Is there any way to use one recipe you've created as an ingredient within another recipe? I make a lot of my fundamental ingredients from scratch, so that would be super helpful...

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You can with the 'old' recipe calculator, but if you've already created the second recipe and saved it and want to add the first recipe to it via editing, it won't work.

A workaround is to tick the box asking you to share the recipe with the MFP recipe database and give it a unique name that you can find in the regular database during recipe editing, but sharing homemade recipes generally annoys other users because it's a useless feature (nobody can see the contents of the recipe) that clogs up the database. I've never done this myself, so I actually don't know if this still works with the current version of the recipe tool.

Editing to add: The above is in reference to the recipe tool on the browser website, not the app. The old recipe tool isn't available in the app.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I came up with a workaround that lets me use the same batch of ingredients in multiple Recipes. This allows me to create a Recipe for example "Pasta Sauce" and then use that batch of ingredients in a recipe for "Lasagna." It takes really just a few extra steps, but it saves lots of time in the long run.

Create a draft of the list of ingredients in the Food Diary, save it as a My Meal, then import the My Meal using the Old Recipe Calculator (available on the web version only) in the new Recipe along with any additional ingredients. Here are my instructions...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10471173/how-to-use-my-foods-and-my-meals-in-a-recipe-a-workaround
  • dante8993
    dante8993 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use verywell.com , you just put how much of what and how many servings and it figures out the calories