Weight loss WITHOUT exercise? Did you do it?

Options

Replies

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 51 lbs with no exercise, then added weight training and walking.
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I lost around 30 to 40 pounds (based on how my clothes fit )from August through September doing keto, because I wasn't having food cravings and my caloric intake went way down. I was eating a whole lot of calories before that. It was fast food all the time and had been for about 6 months because I was working 16 hour days and didn't make time for anything else including cooking.

In July or August I noticed my reflection walking past a glass door and ordered one of Dr Atkins books online. It was great, I just ate whenever I was hungry and I was actually still losing weight. About a week or two later I switched to a lower protein keto and the weight has been melting off.

I didn't start weighing until this month about the 16th or so. Based on the what the scale has been showing I am confident that I have lost another 20 pounds this month, but I also started exercising. I went from losing about 0.79 pounds per day to losing 5.2 pounds between the 21st and the 25th which came out to which came out to 1.04 pounds per day.

To be fair I also started doing a whole lot of running around during that time on top of the exercise, which is unlikely to last much longer, so I'm guessing I will go back to the rate I originally noticed with the weight loss.

The main thing is it curbs appetite and makes it much easier to eat much less.

• ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is most certainly possible. I have lost close to 50 lbs., in the past, without any formal exercise. Now, I am back at trying to loose about 30 lbs. of the 50 lbs. I had previously lost and am down 12 lbs. without any exercise.
  • michaela_judson
    michaela_judson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fasting has helped me lose 4kg in the past month! (I’ve done no excercise) it’s hard to start but once you get use to it it’s great
  • thevividsoul
    thevividsoul Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50lbs without any exercise. At first it was portion control, remembering to eat breakfast. Then I began to cut out most of the dairy from my meals. Now I use a meal replacement for breakfast and lunch and I eat a balanced dinner. I still stay away from eating a lot of dairy. I still need to raise my water intake. So yes, it is possible. The problem that you may run into, which I have experienced, some of the weight I have lost has been muscle. I notice it through the looseness of my body. Even though I have gone down a couple of sizes, I also feel flabbier. There is such a thing as skinny fat ;) So the best advice I could give would be try to do a little exercise, even if it's done while sitting. Getting your muscles moving does a lot for your body and if you have moved your muscles enough during the day, your muscles will burn more calories while you are sleeping :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I could do it without exercise, but it would involve eating only animal-based proteins and vegetables, both of which I find gross. Hahaha

Have you considered trying the Whole30 program?

The whole 30 is not a weight loss diet it's and elimination diet
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I decided to start loosing weight last November/ December. On Christmas Eve, I broke my leg, which seemed to knock out my plans, bit I persevered, and despite being very sedentary, with almost no exercise I still managed to loose quite a bit, think it was about 2 stone in about three months, but not sure of exact figure.
    You can do it without exercise :)
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I love food too much to not exercise.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight by just walking for exercise.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You can do it, a lot of ppl are successful with just calorie restriction.

However, you may not end up where you want to be in the end, as far as body composition is concerned. Google the term "Skinny Fat".

My recommendation would be keep doing as much as you can without aggravating your condition, and increase exercise as/when you can.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    80% is due to what you eat they say. My only exercise is walking and that is just to speed up the process for me. Lots of good advice here. My diary is open.
  • msmith404040
    msmith404040 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Chiari malformation? I have that. I've lost 30 pounds with just counting calories. I've got about 46 more pounds to go, maybe 50 - we'll see when I get there. You can do it.
  • Pepsab
    Pepsab Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yes i have. I started on 8th Aug and so far ive lost 17lb/8kg. Just from eating alone. I would say 80% good 20% treats. Ive only this past week started trying to add in some time on the elliptical because i want to be losing more then i am.
  • zealouszoey
    zealouszoey Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Anon2018 wrote: »
    2400 calories seems high for someone who's not exercising and trying to lose 80 pounds. What are your stats?

I need to lose more than that long run. Current height is five foot six. Weight is 375 lbs.

• zealouszoey
    zealouszoey Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I wanted to clarify that I’m not sitting around all day. I move a lot at my job and stay active at home. I’m just unable to exercise in a way that raises my heart rate too high. :-) I’ll double check with my primary doc on my calories when I see him next month too.
  • kumardoc
    kumardoc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I too lost weight by using MFP guided calorie control, no exercise. My job is very sedentary so I'm probably a good example! The urge to lose weight was prompted by my son's comment 'I love your squishy belly'! Started at 157 Lbs, now sitting at 140 Lbs. Which puts my BMI at 22.7. I'm happy with my progress and hope to maintain 140 - 145 Lbs.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Yes. And I still am. I started logging again on July 31st at 161.8lbs. I'm currently 143.6lbs. I was supposed to maintain at 148...my body and appetite had other plans.

I walk - we take our dog for various walks a day - but I haven't stepped foot in a gym. I did try and do videos early in the weight loss but I couldn't find 1 I wanted to stick too. I did it maybe 3 times...

I find making a commitment to eat less easier than moving more...
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    25kg in 4 months last year doing sedentary work. But this year I'm aiming towards healthier, not just lighter. And I'm mostly enjoying that journey.