SAD lights and Vitamin D

Options
I have a SAD light that I find helpful in keeping my mood elevated as we get less light and I start spending a lot less time outside. I have also decided to increase my vit D until the spring. Is this controversial? I ask because a post I made in another thread got woo'd. If the disagreement was about something else in that post, fine, but I would like to know if SAD lights and vit D are somehow considered woo.

Here is a study on SAD lights. I am extrapolating that if it works for people with mood disorders it should work for people like me who have smaller problems with mood.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15800134

"This analysis of randomized, controlled trials suggests that bright light treatment and dawn simulation for seasonal affective disorder and bright light for nonseasonal depression are efficacious, with effect sizes equivalent to those in most antidepressant pharmacotherapy trials."

The amount of vit D I'm currently taking is what my doctor had said was the absolute minimum, I see no problem with upping it. I spend most of my time outdoors in the summer, it's a big change for me to get so much less sunlight. I don't have a tidy review of all the studies out there regarding Vit D and SAD but I did find this:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/286496.php

"Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to increased risk of asthma, cancer and chronic pain, among other conditions. Now, a new study led by researchers from the University of Georgia associates low vitamin D levels with greater risk of seasonal affective disorder."

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I’m not sure why you’re goetting woo’ed - I’ve read that vitamin d is probably over prescribed right now, and the connections to cancer and stuff are probably pretty tenuous, but for mood and energy I’ve found it to be a godsend living in the often-gloomy north. I’ve tested severely deficient a couple of times and found my energy levels popped up noticibly when I started taking a supplement. As for upping your dose, I always take more in the winter than summer.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I supplement with Vitamin D, based on blood tests at the doctor's office that showed I was deficient. The recommended daily amount is 600 IU. The upper limit for daily supplementation is 4,000 IU. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin that your body stores, rather than excreting in urine, so overdose is possible. Higher doses are sometimes given by prescription and under a doctor's supervision. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-Consumer/
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I supplement with Vitamin D, based on blood tests at the doctor's office that showed I was deficient. The recommended daily amount is 600 IU. The upper limit for daily supplementation is 4,000 IU. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin that your body stores, rather than excreting in urine, so overdose is possible. Higher doses are sometimes given by prescription and under a doctor's supervision. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-Consumer/

Huh, good to know. I’ve been prescribed 10k to 50k daily when I was deficient, so maybe my GP just meant it’s hard to overdose. It does look like you can get 10k over the counter, so I imagine the risk isn’t too high.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Great idea.

I don’t think you necessarily need a blood test before taking vitamin D. Nearly everyone in the northern hemisphere is deficient.

I have read that the exposure required is not as long as once thought but timing is important.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4673349/
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I take a separate vit D3 (1000 units) plus calcium with vit D all year round (Dr. recommended) As for the lights, I do suffer severely from SAD and I've found for me the lights definitely make a difference. In fact, while I was working, a friend in maintenance installed full spectrum lighting in my office and for those years I felt a little drop in energy and mood in lower daylight months but not the big crash I was used to. This is my first winter after retirement, and so far I'm doing OK but I'm being very conscious of using my lights every evening to extend daylight. Hope it all works out for you :)
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    OP, your plan is not controversial.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I would not consider either woo.

I up my D3 in the winter at my doctor's suggestion, and that's based on science -- vit D deficiencies are common in people in cold/dark climates over winter, because they are not out in the sun as much and that's a major source of D. Anyway, it may be a placebo, but I do notice that taking it seems to help my mood (which does tend more toward the blues in the winter, to put it mildly).

I keep meaning to try the SAD lights -- again, my understanding is that there is science behind that and observed results.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    This is one of those topics where the state of our scientific knowledge is in flux. I find light helps me although I know we are not as scientifically sure about it and what kind of light is required as we were. I also take vitamin D and my dr. checks my levels after I got very low and was experiencing symptoms. This is one of those cases where, if they work for you, go for it meanwhile keeping track of the state of latest knowledge on the topic.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I would not consider either woo.

I up my D3 in the winter at my doctor's suggestion, and that's based on science -- vit D deficiencies are common in people in cold/dark climates over winter, because they are not out in the sun as much and that's a major source of D. Anyway, it may be a placebo, but I do notice that taking it seems to help my mood (which does tend more toward the blues in the winter, to put it mildly).

I keep meaning to try the SAD lights -- again, my understanding is that there is science behind that and observed results.

There is, indeed, science behind SAD lights. This one is affordable and portable. No doubt there are others. https://www.amazon.com/Sphere-Gadget-Technologies-Lightphoria-Energy/dp/B004JF3G08/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1509217446&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=northern+lights+lamp&psc=1
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    I take Vit D & I feel gloomy when the suns not out
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Do whatever it takes to get through these cold and dark months. But don’t rely on supplements, get outside when you can to get sunshine. Like nice walks at lunch on sunny days.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^ and that is why I like hitting the Caribbean every February or march B) h
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^ and that is why I like hitting the Caribbean every February or march B) h
    @middlehaitch
    There's nothing quite like being naked in the sun on a beach in winter is there H?
    :blushing:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @middlehaitch
    There's nothing quite like being naked in the sun on a beach in winter is there H?
    :blushing:

That time in St Martin was priceless, thanks for the snorkling lessons :o

You know me too well. h

Ps avatar is in Curaçao.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me when I can do it is running in the morning if I can time it when the sun comes up. You don't get as much light, but it's a great feeling -- sometimes it's not light soon enough, though.

I also agree with those who say get out on the sunny days (which are often the coldest days!), when you can.
  • cryonic_273
    cryonic_273 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Long time SAD sufferer. Ive been using a medical Lightbox for the last 7 years. And it definitely makes a difference to energy and depression over winter . The last few years theres been an upsurge in articles about vitamin D levels for people over winter. The fact is if you can go out for a walk outside every day at lunch time you may not need either supplements nor vitamins , however vitamins and lamps have their place for those whose work may get in the way.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If I didn't get out every day during the winter I would most definitely succumb to "cabin fever" and the results could be dramatic (my hubby wouldn't like my mood). I have a light I've never used and I don't take a supplement, but if I thought it would help or if I were in a position to where I couldn't get outside I wouldn't have any hesitation about giving those a shot. Totally anecdotal, I know.