Does having friends on here help your weightloss?

D782
D782 Posts: 21 Member
Hi

I currently only have 1 friend on here and I dont know if adding people will actually help me reach my weightloss goal. It would be good to hear if it has or hasnt helped others?

I keep dipping in and out of using MFP but now im focussed and dedicated so hoping to stay on track.

Id like to meet some like minded/similar people, Im 24 from South London and wanting to lose 40lbs by Christmas. My goal is to lose 56lbs overall and ive already lost 12lbs so far so Ive got 44lbs to go!

Replies

• littlebee26
    littlebee26 Posts: 116
    I think your weght loss success will ultimately lies in your own hands. I have some really great friends though that are there to give advice when im having a bad day and to congratulate me when im having a good day. This doesn't do any harm. Feel free to add me :))
  • Yes especially this guy

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BeingKevin?month=201210

When i feel like i can not be bothered to work out or if i want to pig out i read the above blog and gives me the boost i need to either do the workouts or keep away from the fridge.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Can't say it's done anything for my weightloss. My sanity on the other hand...
  • AfricaLatina
    AfricaLatina Posts: 111 Member
    Definitely, Absolutely, 100% Yes! Do it Do it :bigsmile:

I have the most amazing FL and we steal ideas/tips from each other all the time. Also, we can rely on each other for support through the hard times... :heart:

I tried once before without the 'community' and It just didn't work for me.. :yawn:
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    They never helped me lose any weight, I prefer to go it alone. To be honest, I found myself spending more time sitting on my butt looking at their food journals and reading their updates, then I would walk away feeling bad about myself for maybe not making the best food choice or for not losing as much weight as them and it was just a really negative experience. Of course it was all MY problem and not anything that they did so your own experiences may vary. Best of luck! =)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    I'm not sure but I guess in every case it's different. I think the site in general keeps me reminded to stop gaining it all back and with that I have my fun friends to talk to. No one can make me do anything so.....it's all up to me.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Yes it does help
  • Maybe not "friends" as such but always encouraging to know that you are not alone in your quest and that it CAN work if you want it to........I'm only 1.5 weeks in and so far, it is the most effective regime I have worked in terms of accounting for and acknowledging exactly what you eat and realising it's just maths at the end of the day......get the balance right and weight comes off, get it wrong and on it goes.....
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    It's ultimately up to you but I find my MFP friends very encouraging as most of the other people in my life are not into diet and exercise. Also some of my friends have great bodies, exercise tons, and/or have lost a lot of weight, and are generally motivating to me.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    I love to read all the threads and respond to some but having friends here hindered rather that helped me cause there was to much to do with encouraging them and cheering them on and them doing that for me which didn't help me at all. I found it all tedious. I also felt obligated to open my diary and that's when I would get anxious and omit things or rebel by eating too much. I guess I'm a dieting loner kind of person, lol.
  • D782
    I love to read all the threads and respond to some but having friends here hindered rather that helped me cause there was to much to do with encouraging them and cheering them on and them doing that for me which didn't help me at all. I found it all tedious. I also felt obligated to open my diary and that's when I would get anxious and omit things or rebel by eating too much. I guess I'm a dieting loner kind of person, lol.

Thanks for your honest response. Thats what Im thinking..... I would like to add a few friends on here, but not so many that it becomes a distraction or obsession. I really want to keep my focus on my weightloss
  • D782
    Definitely, Absolutely, 100% Yes! Do it Do it :bigsmile:

I have the most amazing FL and we steal ideas/tips from each other all the time. Also, we can rely on each other for support through the hard times... :heart:

I tried once before without the 'community' and It just didn't work for me.. :yawn:

Thanks, I'll add you if you dont mind x
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    I've been on MFP since Nov 2012. I downloaded the app on my phone without knowing about the website, so I didn't know at all about the community and having MFP friends and anything. Lost some weight even without that.

Then I got lazy over Christmas time, then it was time for a new semester.

I'm back since 15 days ago, made a few friends on here, and it's definitely more fun and less of a chore, and when I "fail" (like having junk food, or skipping work-outs) there's always someone to tell me not to beat myself up for that because it's pointless and go back tomorrow ready to do better. And it helps.
  • I've been using mfp since Jan 2012, and over the year lost 40lbs and I think having a group of supportive friends on here made all the difference for me. Great advice and support, and it meant I had someone to listen to me, who had the same interests/goals, so I wasn't boring my friends and family too much!! I've been struggling lately, put 9lbs on in about 3months, and it been nice having ppl to talk to about it. If anyone wants an extra friend, feel free to add!!