Scale measurements

Options
So I think I've been using my scale wrong. Which is critical in weight loss.
So my scale measures 0:00.0. So it measures pounds, ounces and grams.
A tablespoon of sugar weighs 4 grams. So I've been weighing it at 0:00.4
But then 4 grams is 0.14 ounces
So should I be weighing at 0:00.1 or 0:00.4?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    That number looks weird. I'm guessing it's pounds:ounces.tenths of an ounce?

Grams would be a single number or kg.gram

There is generally a button to switch between the two
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hmm....are you trying to weigh in grams or oz?
    There should be an option for each category. My scale works like this: Push the button 1 time and get pounds, 2 times and get Oz , 3 times and get Grams.
    They don't all display on the same screen at the same time.
  • Kst76
    Options
    That number looks weird. I'm guessing it's pounds:ounces.tenths of an ounce?

Grams would be a single number or kg.gram

There is generally a button to switch between the two

yeah..im confused now..lol
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    So you're saying your scale displays pounds, ounces, and grams at the same time? I have no idea, I've never seen anything like that :confused:
  • Kst76
    Options
    OP..what kind of scale do you have? Can you give name and model number
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options

I just checked a tablespoon of sugar. It weighs 0.5 ounces or 14 grams.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    4tvevbnnqqi7.jpg
    jgrryoj35lw4.jpg
    b2d9pi7laf1d.jpg
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    That's my scale
  • Kst76
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Click unit button and see if it changes from oz to gram and push it again and see if it changes to pounds.

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Two thoughts. A: That doesn't look like a tablespoon of sugar, but perspective is funny sometimes. B: If you get a container, and tare it first, you won't have to keep cleaning your scale as much as you surely must if you're weighing sugar direct on it.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Look on the right side of the display to see the unit that you are using. That first picture looks like it says lb oz so that would be pounds before the colon and ounces after the colon. You need to set the scale to grams (maybe it shows the unit as kg g?) if you want to weigh in grams.

Don't weigh non-water liquids in fl oz (what shows in your second picture) because that's only accurate for water and liquids with the density of water.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Click unit button and see if it changes from oz to gram and push it again and see if it changes to pounds

I posted a picture of each unit button selection. There's only two. It's either 0:00.0 or 0.0
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    dwilliamca wrote: »

I just checked a tablespoon of sugar. It weighs 0.5 ounces or 14 grams.

Teaspoon sorry
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Two thoughts. A: That doesn't look like a tablespoon of sugar, but perspective is funny sometimes. B: If you get a container, and tare it first, you won't have to keep cleaning your scale as much as you surely must if you're weighing sugar direct on it.

No I put a paper bowl down then Tare it and put the sugar in the bowl.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Look on the right side of the display to see the unit that you are using. That first picture looks like it says lb oz so that would be pounds before the colon and ounces after the colon. You need to set the scale to grams (maybe it shows the unit as kg g?) if you want to weigh in grams.

Don't weigh non-water liquids in fl oz (what shows in your second picture) because that's only accurate for water and liquids with the density of water.

It only has two options the first picture or the second :/ but I never use the fluid ounce one
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Click unit button and see if it changes from oz to gram and push it again and see if it changes to pounds

I posted a picture of each unit button selection. There's only two. It's either 0:00.0 or 0.0
    0:00.0 or 0.0 aren't the units, they are the numbers. Things like grams and pounds/ounces are units.

As I said, look at the far right of the display. Keep changing the unit until you see something like gram or kg g. That will put your scale in the correct mode to weigh in grams. It will likely show as 0.0 in the number area since the back of your scale says that it will weigh to the tenth of an ounce or whole gram.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

Then your scale doesn't weigh in grams. It weighs in pounds, ounces, tenths of ounces (the 0:00.0 setting) or it pretends it can measure volume in fluid ounces (the 0.0 setting). Use the 0:00.0 setting to measure weight, and select entries with lb/ounce units (not fluid ounces), or convert your lb/ounce weight to grams (roughly 28 grams to an ounce) so you can use database entries in grams. Don't use the 0.0 setting (fluid ounces) unless you're measuring water. Use measuring cups and measuring spoons if you need a volume measurement.

So, 0:00.4 is 4/10 of an ounce sugar, which is about 1 Tbsp.
  • BritishSpy007
    BritishSpy007 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Mirror, mirror, on the wall... why use the scales at all?
  • BritishSpy007
    BritishSpy007 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Oops! Wrong kind of scales lol!
  • Kst76
    Options
    Op, can you get a new scale that weighs grams?