Gastric Bypass

Options
Anyone out there struggling with the diet aftermath of gastric bypass? I am having a hard time finding low fat high protein meals. I'm looking for some people to bounce ideas off of that have had the surgery!

Replies

• learnforlife
    learnforlife Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am almost 2 years post R N Y. Food remains at the forefront. What specifically are you struggling with?
  • mowgwan
    mowgwan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 2 and a half years post opp. It can be hard and trying to identify what you tolerate. I found staying away from high carb and sugar helped me a lot. I had to experiment with what my body tolerated related to fat. I did a lot of hiding protein with powders in food the first year and a half. The first year I was a lot more sensitive than I am now to foods. What do you find the most difficult?
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Why low fat, high protein?
  • learnforlife
    Options
    mowgan : I still take up to three protein powder drinks a day to get my protein intake to about 80 grams. I struggle with eating because I have no appetite and rarely feel hungry. Right now I am "pushing" in 2 soft boiled eggs and a melba toast for breakfast. I feel full and bloaty with every bite. A person might say "great, no hunger pangs" but sometimes my calorie intake is well under 1000 Cal and I don't lose any weight despite walking 5 km daily plus cardio workouts.
  • learnforlife
    Options
    ccriuz985: because a high hat or high carb meal or snack will cause dumping syndrome....you know, massive diarrhea and cramping as the shortened bowel dumps what it can no longer handle. Also the surgically reduced stomach size only holds about 1/2 cup of food or liquid at a time. As protein is more important than carbs, you have to concentrate on lean meats and fish no room for vegetables. i cannot eat bread or pasta due to feeling full and sick
  • learnforlife
    Options
    There, it took me 25 minutes to eat 2 eggs and a melba toast for 13 grams of protein, only 70 grams to go. But I feel like I ate a 5 course meal. Now another half hour for coffee..... my favorite
  • learnforlife
    Options
    Silly me, it was only one egg. Soooo, 74 grams to go. It looks like a 3 protein drinks day :(
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    @learnforlife @suzannesimmons3 I'm six years post op tomorrow and that has NEVER happened to me, that's why I ask. My eating patterns are actually high carb, not so high protein but that's just because that's what I end up eating, not due to any conscious effort to make it that way.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mowgan : I still take up to three protein powder drinks a day to get my protein intake to about 80 grams. I struggle with eating because I have no appetite and rarely feel hungry. Right now I am "pushing" in 2 soft boiled eggs and a melba toast for breakfast. I feel full and bloaty with every bite. A person might say "great, no hunger pangs" but sometimes my calorie intake is well under 1000 Cal and I don't lose any weight despite walking 5 km daily plus cardio workouts.

eating too little isn't stopping you from losing weight. if it did, people would never starve to death.
  • Marma802
    Marma802 Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I am almost 2 years post R N Y. Food remains at the forefront. What specifically are you struggling with?

I am finding that getting enough water in daily is a struggle. Also getting enough calories. I am only three weeks out from my surgery and have found the only new things I can tolerate is cottage cheese (low fat of course) and mozzarella sticks (low fat as well). Tried ground turkey, tuna fish and rice Lipton sides. I can keep the rice down but it's a struggle...the rest comes up almost immediately.
  • Marma802
    Options
    mowgwan wrote: »
    I am 2 and a half years post opp. It can be hard and trying to identify what you tolerate. I found staying away from high carb and sugar helped me a lot. I had to experiment with what my body tolerated related to fat. I did a lot of hiding protein with powders in food the first year and a half. The first year I was a lot more sensitive than I am now to foods. What do you find the most difficult?

I wish I could use protein powder....I have tried chocolate and peanut butter kinds and get sick to my stomach almost immediately
  • Marma802
    Options
    There, it took me 25 minutes to eat 2 eggs and a melba toast for 13 grams of protein, only 70 grams to go. But I feel like I ate a 5 course meal. Now another half hour for coffee..... my favorite

Ice coffee is my go too right now but as I love 35 minutes from the store I can get low fat milk I don't get it nearly as often as I would like.
  • Marma802
    Options

I find I have the same problem! I do find that if my calorie intake is close to 1000 then I tend to lose weight more then if it was 600. I find I have to set alarms to take all my vitamins and to eat my food, snacks included or I forget as I am no longer hungry!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So you're only 3 weeks post op? Do you have follow ups with the surgeon/medical team? This is something I'd bring up with them. It's also very probable that you are still retaining a buttload of water from the procedure so you are losing you just can't see it because 1000 calories plus walking would have even me at 158lbs dropping weight fairly rapidly.
  • Marma802
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    @learnforlife @suzannesimmons3 I'm six years post op tomorrow and that has NEVER happened to me, that's why I ask. My eating patterns are actually high carb, not so high protein but that's just because that's what I end up eating, not due to any conscious effort to make it that way.

I found when I had half a cup of Ice cream that I got dumping syndrome. I was feeling sick to my stomach, got all sweaty and ended up in the bathroom all night. I think it had to do more with the sugar then the carbs. Eating is definitely a learning curve!
  • Marma802
    Options
    So you're only 3 weeks post op? Do you have follow ups with the surgeon/medical team? This is something I'd bring up with them. It's also very probable that you are still retaining a buttload of water from the procedure so you are losing you just can't see it because 1000 calories plus walking would have even me at 158lbs dropping weight fairly rapidly.

Yes I am still seeing the medical team (go on the 9th for my 1 month) and have called them and they say well try again in 3/4 days. They tell me I need to push the fluids but I feel over full all the time so it is difficult. I have lost 27.4 since I started my pre-op diet but only 11.4 since the surgery. I feel like I am living on cottage cheese (now), mozzarella cheese sticks, atkins protein shakes and yogurt....That's pretty much all I can keep down.
  • learnforlife
    Options
    Try putting unflavored protein powder in warm skim milk. I found the flavored ones sickening. To this day i cannot tolerate the smell of Boost. I gag. I tend to use 4everfit brand fruit flavored in water...you get protein and water
    Double bonus
  • Marma802
    Options
    Try putting unflavored protein powder in warm skim milk. I found the flavored ones sickening. To this day i cannot tolerate the smell of Boost. I gag. I tend to use 4everfit brand fruit flavored in water...you get protein and water
    Double bonus

I will have to try this as I find the flavor ones sickening as well. Thank you!!
  • Marma802
    Options
    I walked double the amount of steps I was supposed to tonight so I thought I'd try one of my kids candies. I had a small peanut butter cup, it went and stayed down fine but after the taste I felt satisfied and didn't want anymore. How did everyone else do on their Halloween nights?