How do you stay focused during the holidays?

Options
2»

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    HotMama115 wrote: »
    @xkitxkatxkaix I like the idea about waiting for seconds. I did that tonight and it worked.. I am also a fast eater. I have to be with two babies lol!!!

Or maybe just skip seconds?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanksgiving is driving me bats. This is my first holiday season as a diabetic, and basically everything my family has available is a) something I really love and want to eat and b) chock full of enough carbs to literally kill me.

One of the more tricky things socially is that the hostess is herself a diabetic, who is on insulin, weighs 400 lbs, and eats whatever she wants, despite the fact that she is now in kidney failure and dying as a result. So using my diabetes as an excuse not to eat her food is likely to seem like a direct criticism.

By my calculation from what I know about her recipes, if I eat nothing but plain turkey, a single half slice of any dessert offered will put my blood glucose over 200. But there is so much more than plain turkey. There's cranberry sauce, oyster stuffing, green beans with carby stuff all over, garlic mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, gravy, pumpkin chiffon pie, ambrosia, pecan pie, and chocolate chess pie.

I swear I have considered pretending to be sick for a day. But I don't want to do that as she literally is dying and I probably won't get another holiday with her.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I've learned to just have portion control at events, a small bite of everything, or skip some things, or have a carb OR wine OR dessert, not everything. Log food every day, have lighter meals to balance out "holiday" meals. Don't let anyone else own it, YOU own it. If you say no thanks, don't explain why, just no thanks or I'm good. And by all means help teach your sister in law to make some healthier tasty options.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    HotMama115 wrote: »
    I’m not sure what kind of cardio you do but what about bringing a jump rope? Sit ups, planks, push-ups you can do without a gym membership. Also there might be some fun cardio exercises off YouTube that you could maybe access over the tv or computer. Maybe ask the people you are visiting to help you stay fit and have them join in the fun?

Oh the jump rope idea is awesome, I like it! Thanks so much.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    And I also thought of packing up my cross country skis too.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've already put my thanksgiving recipes into MFP and am planning ahead. I'm not on carb restriction though, I just count calories. If she takes your refusal to eat everything as a criticism just explain that you are choosing to manage your diabetes in a different way than she is. But you have no control over other people's reactions you do have control over your own actions and health.

How about taking a healthy holiday dish that you can eat?
  • hannahsmithmd
    hannahsmithmd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you are doing the cooking try and find less calorific recipes (something you can actually control).

When eating outside your house be sensible and don't snack (as hard as this may be - or snack on healthy foods like unsalted nuts and fruit.)

Try and reduce you alcohol intake as well if you drink. As I'm sure you realise you snack and eat more after a few drinks than when you are sober.

I agree about waiting for 10 to 15 minutes between dishes.

Either fasting or lighter meals between days when you know you might or want to eat a lot are also wise suggestions.

The 5:2 diet where you eat normally for 5 days then pretty fast for 2 days (around 500-600 calories) might be suitable for some people as you only have think about dieting for 2 days during the week.
  • theyoginurse
    theyoginurse Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    fasting is what helps me really have fun at times... it's not only healthy but also allows me to have days where i don't follow any dieting at all and just enjoy what is around me.

That’s fantastic. Can you please explain in more detail?
  • theyoginurse
    theyoginurse Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I’m just going to fit it into my daily calorie goal and exercise. I like the idea of fasting also. I find if I were to eat more one day, generally the next day I’m not as hungry.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    Christmas isn't for another 6 weeks.

Stick to your diet for the next 5 weeks, take a couple weeks off over Christmas, and resume again a few days into January. :)

That's my plan!

Also, start ramping up your exercise. Here, it's late spring and the weather is finally starting to become nice. More walking, more cycling!!

If it is winter where you are, get on the cross-country skis, snowshoes, skates ... get your family involved and have some fun. Focus more on getting out and doing stuff than on eating.

• Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is driving me bats. This is my first holiday season as a diabetic, and basically everything my family has available is a) something I really love and want to eat and b) chock full of enough carbs to literally kill me.

One of the more tricky things socially is that the hostess is herself a diabetic, who is on insulin, weighs 400 lbs, and eats whatever she wants, despite the fact that she is now in kidney failure and dying as a result. So using my diabetes as an excuse not to eat her food is likely to seem like a direct criticism.

By my calculation from what I know about her recipes, if I eat nothing but plain turkey, a single half slice of any dessert offered will put my blood glucose over 200. But there is so much more than plain turkey. There's cranberry sauce, oyster stuffing, green beans with carby stuff all over, garlic mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, gravy, pumpkin chiffon pie, ambrosia, pecan pie, and chocolate chess pie.

I swear I have considered pretending to be sick for a day. But I don't want to do that as she literally is dying and I probably won't get another holiday with her.

Could you maybe say that your medicine isn't quite sorted yet so you don't want to risk it? That might avoid it seeming like critcism... are you able to have just a teaspoon of some of those tasty things? That's what I do when I want to taste something but don't want to make (much) room in my calories for it. I don't know if the same would work for you with diabetes. Will there be low carb things you can fill your plate with so it isn't so obvious?
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions!
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I like to enjoy the holidays but only on the actual holiday. Thanksgiving day, Christmas eve, Christmas day, and new years eve/day I have whatever I like but make sure not to overstuff myself. I'll definitely have pumpkin pie and a glass of champagne and Christmas cookies, but only 1 slice of pie, a glass or 2 of champagne and only 2 or 3 cookies. Just remember you only have to make it through the month and you'll be back in your normal routine. Great yourself but he conscious.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest - the holiday season is TOUGH to start out.

It's a hard time for stress. Routines go right out the window. People never bring in a nice veggie plate for the break room. The weather gets cold, so it's often harder to go outside.

So you may want to consider just starting after Christmas or New Year's. It's an option. You are committing to commit on a red-circled date on the calendar.

Start logging on MFP at maintenance...seriously. Just get some data started. Do some research. Try out some workouts and figure out what you like. Take a look at gym memberships. Whatever.

• ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I look at holiday foods and some stuff I'll pass on. Like yeah, mac and cheese is great but that's not something that's only limited to the holidays. Stuffing is though and I loooove stuffing so yeah, I'll indulge because we literally only have it ONE day (and a day or two of leftovers) a year. Same with cranberry sauce (homemade all the way), potatoes au gratin, and broccoli casserole. Those are holiday dishes only so I indulge. I won't see them for an entire year afterwards so I don't feel bad at all, nor should I. Nor should WE. We work hard, we deserve the yearly treat!
  • bcspringstead
    bcspringstead Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think about “working” for my meal too.
    MFP gives you back calories with workouts. I personally do use those calories every day but on holidays I’ll get up early go work out to EARN my calories so I can have that glass of wine or slice of cake. Also set an end eating time like no ore after 6pm! Also just go for a walk after you eat to help you metabolism! Make it a family thing!
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been talking to the friend who's my running coach... she wants me to take a day off running every week, and this coming week, she wants me to run one day and walk the next. This is bad news for me, as I was planning on really busting on the exercise to offset Thanksgiving. At least there are good places for me to walk and run where we will be spending this vacation week- including a hotel gym, which is a total novelty for me (nearest gym is half an hour away, so I don't go).

As of this morning, I've lost 2.4 lbs since 11/4. I've had such a hard time losing weight, I am going to fight tooth and nail not to gain any back over the holidays. Stuffing and cranberry sauce are the two things I can't go without (I'm with you @ccruz985 ), and I'll have a little slice of pumpkin pie (my sister-in-law the pastry chef is making it). I'm going to keep tracking meals, though it will be harder because someone else is cooking. I refuse to just give up, like I have every holiday season up to this point!