Questions for strength program and cardio interval

Options
I am looking for input on strength training and cardio interval training.... ultimate goal is to reduce body fat and overall body size (particularly waist size) and weight reduction. Weight reduction will be mostly from reducing calorie intake.
It doesn't take much lurking on this forum to read that you can't build muscle and be on a calorie deficit.... So to be clear I do not care about "building" muscle, as I will be on a calorie deficit. So first some questions on strength training: (if it matters I will be doing a home based workout using body weight and dumbbells and a bench)
1) Can you increase strength and endurance, without caring about adding muscle mass?
2) If overall goal (six months to a year out) is to build muscle endurance, should I consider first building muscle strength, before working on endurance? I assume if I am "ok" with my current strength, that I can just go into endurance training and will gain some strength in the process.
3)To build muscle endurance, how many reps should one look at doing per set and how many sets. Also same question if looking for building muscle strength.

For cardio interval training what are the advantages of a pyramid routine (moderate work followed by rest of 8:4, 6:3, 4:2, 2:1 (times are in minutes) verses a HIIT of 20 second intense work followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeat for total of 8 intervals (4 minutes). The intervals will be done either doing a run/walk routine or using a cycle trainer. Should I consider taking a 4 or 5 minute rest and repeat the HIIT routine for 2 or 3 repeats. In the past I have found that doing intervals is not as boring (for me) as doing steady state cardio and to be honest I am too heavy and out of shape to run for longer distance anyway.

My current thoughts run something of the following:
Monday: pyramid interval, Tuesday: strength, Wed: rest, Thursday: HIIT, Friday: strength, weekend: one day active recreation (cycle, hike, etc) and one rest day. I am really trying to make the weekday workouts effective, so I can better enjoy the active recreation on the weekends.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes you can build strength without adding muscle and while in a deficit. A lot of your initial strength increases are attributable to neuromuscular improvement, which means you are learning the movements and taking advantage of the muscle that you already have. As a beginner, I suggest simply working to improve strength.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For cardio interval training what are the advantages of a pyramid routine (moderate work followed by rest of 8:4, 6:3, 4:2, 2:1 (times are in minutes) verses a HIIT of 20 second intense work followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeat for total of 8 intervals (4 minutes). The intervals will be done either doing a run/walk routine or using a cycle trainer. Should I consider taking a 4 or 5 minute rest and repeat the HIIT routine for 2 or 3 repeats. In the past I have found that doing intervals is not as boring (for me) as doing steady state cardio and to be honest I am too heavy and out of shape to run for longer distance anyway.

Advantages really depends on what you're wanting to achieve. In truth the greatest advantages to true HIIT is that for an already conditioned athlete it can help race preparation. For what you're describing the benefit of an interval schema is that it helps to condition aerobic capacity, leading to the ability to do steady state work for a longer period of time.

If you're wanting to improve your ability to do sustained steady state cardiovascular work at weekends you'll get best results from building up your ability to do that during the week. I fully understand the boredom aspect of stationary bike or treadmill, but realistically to get the effects you're wanting neither of your proposed sessions will add huge value to your weekend.
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm lifting while on weight loss as well. I lift 3 days per week and cardio 3 days. I alternate 2 lifting workouts:
    Workout 1 (Deadlifts, Lat Pull downs, Overhead Press, Bicep Curls and Abs)
    Workout 2 (Squats, Bench Press, Barbell Rows, Tricep push downs, Calf Raises)
    Mon: Workout 1
    Tues: HIIT
    Wed: Workout 2
    Thursday: LISS Cardio
    Friday: Workout 1
    Saturday: HIIT
    Sunday: Rest

The next week I alternate the lifting where it goes 2,1,2. I get each lifting workout 3 times every 2 weeks. Cardio stays the same although I vary the types of cardio I do.

If you don't have access to weights, I would definitely try to do bodyweight type lifts, however I feel weights are more effective, IMO.

I lost 40 lbs in 3 months while gaining some strength as well and definite changes in body composition. I took a few months off while life got in the way and just recently started back. I've got 60+ pounds still to go (don't have a goal weight per se, but plan on losing until I can start to see some ab definition). For reference, I started at 290 and am 38 year old male.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes you can build strength without adding mass, neuromuscular adaptation will happen first. I wouldn't worry about building muscular endurance per say. Just get stronger. It's easier to do something many many times over of you are very strong. Use a variety of rep ranges, anything from 5-15 will be beneficial. You should ideally follow a set program, rather than making up your own.
    As far as the intervals go, depends on what you want from them. A variety of work rest intervals accomplishes different things. Also don't discount some low intensity steady state on occasion.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    Many here will consider it religious heresy, but if time is not the constraint, steady-state cardio will tend to burn more calories overall, especially for the less-well-conditioned athlete, simply because more volume (longer exercise time) is more achievable.

I completely hear what you're saying, though, about boredom!

Depending on what equipment options you have, consider what interval options you may have other than intensity intervals, and what other boredom-avoidance strategies you could use.

For example, stationary bikes sometimes have variable resistance, permitting intervals of light resistance/high cadence interspersed with moderate resistance/lower cadence. Rowing machines permit variations in strokes per minute, for rating pyramids.

On the boredom-avoidance side, can you make use of podcasts, audio books, streamed movies/TV, or outdoor exercise (like easy/moderate cycling) to keep things distracting or interesting?

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but this style of workout really does have advantages. Steady state will build your fitness base more effectively at this stage than intervals, and better plays into your weight loss goals.

Whatever you decide, best wishes!