Best Autumn Recipes

Options
What are your favorite fall recipes? I discovered this stuffed acorn squash a few years ago and make it every time they’re in season. I have to increase most of the ingredients because the squash I get are large and require more stuffing.

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/roasted-acorn-squash-with-wild-rice-stuffing-13566

I logged it as a recipe, and they’re 450 kcal per stuffed squash half the way I make them, less if you follow the recipe exactly. They reheat really well, so they make a great lunch at work. I’d love to hear your faves!

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This chunky sweet potato with fennel soup is fantastic - I didn't have fresh sage leaves so I used about a third tsp of rubbed sage which worked fine. Haven't worked out the calories for it - I used the calories for a similar sweet potato soup recipe instead.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chunky-sweet-potato-soup-239215
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash soup.

The recipe for butternut squash soup is essentially the same as for any blended veggie soup, including but not limited to split pea, cauliflower, carrot, broccoli & asparagus.

Sautee a chopped onion until translucent. Add peeled/cleaned chipped veggies to the pot w/chicken or veggie broth or just water as you prefer. Bring to a boil and then simmer until all the veggies are soft. Use an immersion or standard blender to blend until smooth. Cook down or add water to achieve desired consistency. Season to taste.

One of the easiest things that you can cook. Made cauliflower soup a couple of weeks ago. Have a butternut squash sitting on my counter now but I'm going to make some split pea soup w/ham hocks tonite 1st.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Those all sound delish. If I could duplicate the autumn squash soup from Panera I’d be a very happy girl!

I made a frozen sweet potato custard for Thanksgiving a few years ago- it was decadent as heck but amazing.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    For the Panera soup, you'll need to sweeten it a bit. Chopped apple will work, or a bit of honey or agave.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Ha I came in to say I'm all about the acorn squash right now. Couple of times the last few weeks I've made an easy dinner by throwing one in to bake for 45 mins or so while I shower and such and then making a quick something to go inside it, like frozen meatless crumbles with sauce.

Lentil soup also. I have a pressure cooker and making a nice thick soup with red lentils takes no time at all.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 991 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Roasted Autumn Root Vegetable Soup:

2 Tbsp EVOO, 3 garlic cloves peeled but left whole, 1 cup cubed butternut squash, 2 carrots and 1 parsnip cut into thick rounds,
    1 turnip cubed, 2 leeks thickly sliced, 1 onion quartered, 3 bay leaves, 4 thyme sprigs or dried thyme 1 tsp,
    3 rosemary sprigs or 1 teaspoon dried, 5 cups of vegetable stock (I use Better than Bullion - vegetarian) salt & Pepper to taste, optional: nonfat yogurt or sour cream to serve on top.

Heat oven to 400*, toss veggies and oil in large bowl...spread out single layer one or two baking sheets and tuck or sprinkle the herbs among the vegetables. Roast 50 minutes until tender, turning vegetables to brown all over. Remove from oven and remove bay leaves, if using fresh herbs discard. Transfer to large stock pot and pour in vegetable stock...bring to a boil then reduce heat for 10 minutes...season to taste. Transfer to a food processor blender or use a hand blender and process until thick and very smooth. Season and serve with swirl of greek yogurt or sour cream. I use balsalmic vinegar glaze. Serves 6. Great the next day. There is no butter or cream but it tastes very rich.