Measuring chili?

Options
Guys I'm making a huge pot of chili today.... so where and how do I start? Just scan every item I put in my pot? Then divide by what? I only have a small kitchen scale so my pot won't fit on the scale... help

Replies

• JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    1. Calculate the the calories and macro composition of the entire batch of chili based upon your ingredients
    2. Measure out how many cups or grams are in the chili AFTER it is cooked
    3. Divide the serving size, in cups or grams, by the weight/volume of the batch of chili
    4. Use the above number , and multiply it with the total calories
    5. Use the number from step 3 and multiply with each individual macro to get the macro composition of the meal
    6. Wallah!!! you now have macros for your serving size
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Macros??? I don't want to deal with macros, just trying to figure out calories per cup
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Reread JustRobby1's response - he's not saying you have to deal with macros.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    What I try to do is note down the ingredients. Either weigh the pot empty so you can weigh it full once cooked and deduct the pot weight (if the pot is bigger than the scale I've been known to upturn a bowl on the scale with and put the pot on that. Or transfer cooked chilli to another container if you're saving some whilst it is on the scale.

The total gram amount, say it's 1000g, I enter it as 1000 servings. That way when I log it I can weigh out 250g or whatever and log it as 250 servings.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    When I make home made chili, I build a recipe from the components in MFP. Now, I weigh it out, and try to get the serving sizes to come out to be 450-500 cals. Before, when I had a smaller scale, I used to measure using my 1 cup ladle.

Either way is only really accurate as an average if you will be consuming the whole batch ( I'm single, so I do ), or your chili tends to be very thick ( I.E. little to no extra fluid ).

The recipe builder will calculate all macros for you from the ingredients. Measure the volume as you transfer to your storage container(s). In your case, since you want cals/cup, put the total number of cups in as the serving size in the recipe.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    Guys I'm making a huge pot of chili today.... so where and how do I start? Just scan every item I put in my pot? Then divide by what? I only have a small kitchen scale so my pot won't fit on the scale... help

You don't need to divide by anything if you use the recipe builder on MFP. You enter the ingredients, then tell it how many servings it makes. MFP then divides by number of servings to get the nutrtional makeup of one serving. The trick is figuring out how many servings it is, and what size a serving is, especially if you can't weigh the pot.

Can you put a smaller bowl on your scale upside and put the pot on top that, so you can read the scale?

If that's not possible, you can either weigh it in batches and add it up to get a total, or measure it out in cups.

If you find a way to figure out the weight, the easiest thing to do is enter the weight in grams for the total amount of chili as the number of servings (e.g., if you find you've made 978 g of chili, tell the recipe builder it's 978 servings). Then each time you have some chili, weigh your portion, and enter the weight in grams as the number of serving you had. (E.g., if you eat 275 g of chili, you had 275 servings).

If you have to settle for measuring it by volume in cups, enter the number of cups as the number of servings. Then if you eat 1 1/2 cups, you log it as 1.5 servings.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It worked .
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I build it in recipe builder. Once done and cool I scoop it out into bowls and freeze it. Number of servings is the number of bowls I fill up.

Do the same for Thai soup.

These are 2 things I make my wife can't touch (lactose and other issues) so I can just make what is a good serving size for me and it works.