82 grams of saturated fat??

Options
So I just tried frying some vegan chicken in coconut oil, and at the end, it looked like probably half of it had been used (I had the oven on too low at first). I put it on a napkin afterwards, and a decent amount of oil ended up on there, but I don't know how much it was. Anyway, I think about 6 tbsp of oil were taken out of the skillet, and not counting whatever was on the napkin, that's 82 grams of saturated fat! My daily calories are still in check, so that's not a concern, but that's four times the amount that's recommended in a day. Did I actually use this much, and if I did, how bad is it?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So I just tried frying some vegan chicken in coconut oil, and at the end, it looked like probably half of it had been used (I had the oven on too low at first). I put it on a napkin afterwards, and a decent amount of oil ended up on there, but I don't know how much it was. Anyway, I think about 6 tbsp of oil were taken out of the skillet, and not counting whatever was on the napkin, that's 82 grams of saturated fat! My daily calories are still in check, so that's not a concern, but that's four times the amount that's recommended in a day. Did I actually use this much, and if I did, how bad is it?

More of the current research is suggesting the SFA aren't actually the bad for you. And while it may not be beneficial like MUFA, its not something to worry about..... especially one or two days worth.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    In many respects, the jury is still out as to whether saturated fat consumption is bad for cardiac health. Arguably, and because of its effect on LDL/HDL cholesterol ratios, one should still limit saturated fat consumption as long as one replaces that fat with mono- and poly-unsaturated fats not starchy carbohydrates. Read the section on saturated fats here to get an idea of the current state of the scientific consensus: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/types-of-fat/
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is high in saturated fat. If that's a concern to you, I'd use a different oil or just make things fried in coconut oil something that I ate less often.