I don’t count calories

Hi everyone,
I’m really new here and just wanted some general advice. I recovered from anorexia a full five years ago after having anorexia for about 4 years, and I don’t have urges at all to go back to my old ways. However, I do need to lose 15-20 pounds after I was also diagnosed with binge eating disorder. I also do not have any urges to binge anymore (it was only a problem for a year). Anyways, from those experiences I HATE counting calories. It was programmed in me for so long that I never want to do it again. My problem is, I don’t know if I’m eating enough to lose weight. People will say just go through trail and error, but I was hoping to have the weight off by January 4th for my colorado trip! Can people give me examples of their 1200-1300 calorie diets, so I can get ideas of what to eat without having to count? Thank you!

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Rachwy4 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I’m really new here and just wanted some general advice. I recovered from anorexia a full five years ago after having anorexia for about 4 years, and I don’t have urges at all to go back to my old ways. However, I do need to lose 15-20 pounds after I was also diagnosed with binge eating disorder. I also do not have any urges to binge anymore (it was only a problem for a year). Anyways, from those experiences I HATE counting calories. It was programmed in me for so long that I never want to do it again. My problem is, I don’t know if I’m eating enough to lose weight. People will say just go through trail and error, but I was hoping to have the weight off by January 4th for my colorado trip! Can people give me examples of their 1200-1300 calorie diets, so I can get ideas of what to eat without having to count? Thank you!

Can you see a dietitian?

If you're not triggered by exchanges -- I was, which seemed to throw my dietitian for a tailspin -- they can help you come up with a plan that keeps the ED in mind, and *also* helps you rebalance your weight without having to focus on calories.

That's a pretty short time period to lose those 20 pounds, but they might be able to help you get a couple of pounds off, at least, and continue the good successes from there.

I wouldn't do it alone, though. And I wouldn't track here.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Even 15 pounds in that timeframe is an aggressive goal if 15-20 pounds is all you have to lose. I even suspect you shouldn't lose (that much) as your ED may have skewed your perception of healthy weight. Having a deadline for weightloss is also not the best idea, for anyone.

There is no such thing as not eating enough to lose weight. If you eat less than you burn, you lose weight, and the less you eat, the more and faster you lose. But I suppose you want to do it safely, healthily, effectively and comfortably? Then you have to not eat too little. MFP provides a good general calorie goal. But if you don't want to log your intake, you need a different strategy. You could google meal plans for the amount of calories MFP gives you to lose 1% of your bodyweight per week, but why should you? Don't you, really, know what and how much to eat? Haven't you been given a meal plan by your treatment team?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Rachwy4 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

eating too little wont stop you from losing weight.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    With your background I would strongly recommend to seek the advice of a physician and/or psychologist.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Being on a calorie counting app is not the best place for you. You need an alternate method to losing weight and 15-20 pounds in 8-9 weeks is way too aggressive, this is setting you back up for relapse.

Reach out to your doctors/recovery team for advice on the most healthy and sustainable methods to lose with out compromising your recovery.