Difficult Exercises

Options
I'm getting bored with my weight-lifting routine despite starting a new program. Anyone have any suggestions on some technically difficult exercises that I can throw in at the end of a workout? So far I've got muscle-ups and dragon flag.

Replies

• flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Burpees. Lots of Burpees.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    pistol squats
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Bulgarian Split Squat
    Renegade Row
    Full contact weighted twist
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    one leg side planks
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Front & back levers, human flag, planche hold, freestanding handstands
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is just boring. You don't do it for entertainment, you do it for the results. Cardio is for fun.

Disagree. Cardio is boring and for the calorie burn only, while lifting is for fun and entertainment!

As for exercises, side lunges, side plank, single leg squat, planks, box jumps. Sometimes when I have extra energy or need something else to do I walk around and use a machine I've never used. That or I observe others in the free weights and try something I saw from there.
  • rybo
    Options
    Lifting weights is just boring. You don't do it for entertainment, you do it for the results. Cardio is for fun.

Lifting can be fun or boring. Cardio can be fun or boring. Depends on the person and what type of lifting or what type of cardio is being done.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cleans and jerks...snatches...do them at the beginning when you're fresh.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Lifting can be fun or boring. Cardio can be fun or boring. Depends on the person and what type of lifting or what type of cardio is being done.

What advice would you give to the OP to make lifting heavy things and then putting them down less boring?
  • rybo
    Options

What advice would you give to the OP to make lifting heavy things and then putting them down less boring?

Hard to make suggestions without knowing what they are finding boring.
    Changing up movements, rep schemes, adding intensity, all can be ways to make it less boring. Also focusing on the lift itself. If you aren't lifting with purpose and intent, you're not going to be anywhere near your capabilities. I don't understand how a person could check out mentally and be bored while lifting, unless they aren't pushing themselves as hard as they should be.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

Changing up movements, rep schemes, adding intensity, all can be ways to make it less boring. Also focusing on the lift itself. If you aren't lifting with purpose and intent, you're not going to be anywhere near your capabilities. I don't understand how a person could check out mentally and be bored while lifting, unless they aren't pushing themselves as hard as they should be.

That's what gets me through it. I already look better than I did before lifting and that's going to continue. I lift because of the results, lifting works. But it's never fun like riding down a twisty hill and seeing how much speed you can carry through each switchback. It's not about fun, it's about intent and purpose. :smile:
  • NorthCascades
    Options

This is probably very stupid of me but sometimes when I'm working out and I'm really not into it I just pretend that a jealous *kitten* is staring at me and she's super envious of how amazing I look while doing so. Then I think, "yes, you should be jealous, look at my amazing deadlift form you *kitten*."

That's pretty awesome!
  • rybo
    Options

That's what gets me through it. I already look better than I did before lifting and that's going to continue. I lift because of the results, lifting works. But it's never fun like riding down a twisty hill and seeing how much speed you can carry through each switchback. It's not about fun, it's about intent and purpose. :smile:

You're not understanding what I'm saying and it's obvious you just don't find lifting interesting, so I'm not sure anything that anyone says is going to matter.
    I'm talking intent and purpose in that moment that allows you to lift the most weight possible for the amount of reps needed for your program. Many people find it a lot of fun to discover the strength they hold inside. Gut out a new 5RM weight of back squats and some people are bouncing off the walls and find that fun.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm getting bored with my weight-lifting routine despite starting a new program.

If you're bored, the weight is too light. ;)

Try Cherimoose Get-ups, which is like Turkish Get-ups except you never put your hand on the floor. :+1:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How about forward hand plank with shoulder tap, handstand pushups?

"Lifting weights is just boring. You don't do it for entertainment, you do it for the results. Cardio is for fun.

Disagree. Cardio is boring and for the calorie burn only, while lifting is for fun and entertainment!"

Guess I'm both weird and lucky, I like both cardio and weights. Increasing my weights and setting a new cycling PR both give me the same buzz.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    follow Smith Julian on IG. Heaps of awesome variations - hard *kitten* to do. love it.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm uncoordinated and working to change that. For me, an impossible exercise is a deep-abs jackknife off of a stability ball. That might not be hard for you, though.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Snagged some good ones from the lot. Thanks for the input!