Calories Intake

Options
I am 23 years of age, moderatively active. I use to weigh 208lbs, I know weigh 185lbs. Before I would over eat and now i find myself undereating. I am also 6ft tall. I consume on average 1500 calories a day with the proper foods but after reading several articles i realize i am eating way too less and should be consuming closer to 2000-2500 calories, im looking for some suggestions for foods to properly increase my calorie intake, any suggestions? Thank you!

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! Welcome to the MFP Forum. This is going to surprise you....

According to BMI, you are overweight! I would not lie! I am not a huge fan of BMI....just consider it one of many data points.

Based on your details (gender, age, height, weight) I looked at a TDEE Calculator (take this information as a starting point.....and with a grain of salt). Here are your caloric needs based on the different Physical Activity Levels:

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,872 calories per day
    Sedentary 2,247 calories per day
    Light Exercise 2,574 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 2,902 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 3,229 calories per day
    Athlete 3,557 calories per day

So, according to the above (again, I stress - take this as a starting point....you would need to play with this to see what your actual numbers are) you are indeed way under eating. Your BMR is roughly 400 calories more than you are eating each day. Not sustainable.

What type of training, if any, do you do?

What type of foods do you like to eat? Do you track your calories? Do you track your macros? Macros are Proteins, Carbs and Fats (and I include Fiber in that.....not really there, but I track Fiber as well).

The idea is to come up with the right number (again, the above numbers are based off of a formula...you need to play with things to see where you actually are) and then figure out how to reach those numbers.

Important question: are you the type that can eat the same things over and over? Or, do you need variety?

Do you have any medical conditions that might affect your nutrition?

I know, I know....lots of questions. Hopefully they help point you in the right direction....
  • randymurphy3168
    randymurphy3168 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes i do track everything i eat. and i know all about macros. I just started including another meal so im bumping up 1900 calories.. I would say I train every other day. Full body workouts and starting always with a cardio session of anywhere from 6-10 ten minutes. By increasing my calories to over 2000 calories is that going to
    help me burn fat and shape out the way i want to look? I also started drinking 8 cups of water a day