Does exercise ever make you examine your life's choices?

124»

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    The negative self talk is fairly typical at some point during longer triathlons, so I rehearse my "why continue?" argument ahead of time. One thought that keeps me going is being thankful that I"m healthy enough to do these things at my age, having lost several good friends to illness during their 50's. I often imagine them telling me to "suck it up" when I'm feeling sorry for myself and want to quit.

As far as quitting for keeps, I get far too much satisfaction from racing and the friendships I've formed with other endurance junkies to consider quitting and becoming a couch potato.

around mile 10 of that half marathon in an 70.3 right? or is that hunger?

@deannalfisher - It sure wasn't hunger during the Lake Placid 70.3 race. My "moment of truth" came at the 10 mile mark on the run course, just as I turned the corner by Linda G's restaurant and faced that nasty half mile uphill climb back into town. Any thoughts of maintaining an open HM pace ended right there. If there weren't so many spectators, I just may have stopped then and taken a DNF. Going to have to figure that one out, since I'll get to run it twice in the race there next July after 112 miles on the bike. Oh joy.

Yeah that hill was just cruel! Enjoy your two laps of it in July ;)