Stationary Bike Recommendations

Options
Anyone have recommendations for a stationary bike at home? I'm thinking less than $250. I'd love for it to be adjustable and have a counter/display. Thanks!

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Nope, but for your budget, I'd suggest used off of craigslist or similar. Actually, I'd suggest used most of the time, but especially with that budget.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I would go for a used gym quality bike over a new home quality bike at that budget.
    If you do decide to go for new then definitely try before you buy, there's some awful contraptions out there.

What are your training goals?
    My preference would be a turbo trainer to put my bike on when I can't get outside but that may well not be an option for you.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I am curious if any of the sub $250 ones on Amazon are any good. I can't comment as I haven't tried them. I can only guess that an exercycle is cheaper than a treadmill or elliptical because it's mechanically simpler.

Note that, if you own a bike, you can buy a trainer that it clips into. This is mostly a solution for cycling enthusiasts.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,984 Member
    Options
    Can't buy much in the way of a stationary bike - new or used - for $250. Can't even get a good bike trainer for that price.

If that's all you can afford, troll Amazon and other sites for stationary bikes in your price range w/the best reviews overall.

Then buy the one that seems the best and then hope for the best but don't be surprised if the thing breaks and doesn't last.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I would suggest asking some of your friends. You're likely to find a few who bought one with good intentions but would now like to get it out of the way.Just be sure that you buy it from them rather than borrow. They would be more than happy to store their stuff in your house.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,007 Member
    Options
    think48 wrote: »
    Anyone have recommendations for a stationary bike at home? I'm thinking less than $250. I'd love for it to be adjustable and have a counter/display. Thanks!

Do you have a real bicycle?

If so, go to Nashbar or Performance or one of those and get a trainer ... a fluid-style trainer.