Where should I start. 46. And not loosing weight

Options
Ok. I'm 46 male . I try to do 3in cardio a day for 5 days
I have lower my carbs And Eating more protein
And I don't see any improvements, a month later I'm like two pounds heavier
I'm 5'7 now 217 pounds I want to be able to go under 200 any advice. I'm feeling more depressed now is frustrating to put the work and don't see any improvements

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    lethan589 wrote: »
    Ok. I'm 46 male . I try to do 3in cardio a day for 5 days
    I have lower my carbs And Eating more protein
    And I don't see any improvements, a month later I'm like two pounds heavier
    I'm 5'7 now 217 pounds I want to be able to go under 200 any advice. I'm feeling more depressed now is frustrating to put the work and don't see any improvements

Carbs and protein both have 4 calories per gram. It sounds like you lowered one and then raised the other by more than you raised the first. You need to lower your overall calories. Hit at least your minimum protein (.8-1 gram of protein per pound is a reasonable level) and fat (.35-.6 gram per pound minimum) and fill in the rest with carbs or more fat or more protein. In the end, though, you need to lower your overall calories.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Hey, man! I know where you are......I was there not so long ago. This logging of everything can be a huge pita. But, it is worth it. It is now second nature to me. I actually can not believe that I have not always been doing this.

Essentially, everyone in here who has replied is correct. It is a matter of ACCURATELY logging everything that you eat. And counting calories (first and foremost). Messing with macros is secondary. Get the caloric intake correct and you are so ahead of the game.

Your training program will help, but nutrition is where it is (for you, right now).

Do you understand how MFP (myfitnesspal) does things? I did not when I first started. If you are looking at the post where she suggests 'eating half of your exercise calories'.....that might sound really weird. It did to me the first few times I heard it. It makes sense now....to me, anyway.
  • lethan589
    lethan589 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying I wanted to start November strong and try something different,
    Since my first approach didn't work to well,But I knew I most be doing something wrong
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    ...i think the word keto is starting to grate at my brain a little..

Totes !
  • lethan589
    Options
    So. What my. Break down of. Fat protein. And carbs should be if I want to loose 1.5 to 2 pounds ?? I'm. Trying to stay at. 1500 cal per day
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    The numbers MFP gives you most likely will be fine. It's less calories that will give you weight loss. At 1500 you're already at the low end, and given that you exercise a lot you should be eating more than 1500 cal a day. Eat to whatever number MFP gives you, and at most half of your exercise calories, and try that for a month.
  • lethan589
    Options
    I will try. That and hopefully I will see results. Thanks
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't just hope, and definitely don't just try! Weight up/down is simple maths. Follow MFP's instructions, don't cheat, be patient, and you WILL see results over time.
  • duckforceone
    duckforceone Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    what helped me the most ever, was learning how my portions should look.

To learn that, first you will have to do the following.

Weigh every food, and calculate them to fit what MFP tells you to eat calorie wise and spread.
    then start making food with that and show yourself what your portions should look like.
    then you can slowly stop weighing food that you alreay know what it should roughly look like.

Also, if all you have is a normal scale, do not use it to gauge how you are doing. it's like saying that Zimbabwe is rich because it has 1 billion dollar notes.
    You can be gaining weight either because you eat too much, or you are gaining muscle... or just retaining more water. You need a scale that also has bodyfat percentage, and you need to use a mirror and look at your clothes too. If you look better in the mirror, and the clothes are easier to fit into, it doesn't matter that you gained weight.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    As a newbie I would suggest you ignore macros for now. Concentrate on counting calories and the process of accurately logging your food I.e weighing your portion sizes. It can be a steep learning curve but once you get a handle on it, your progress will improve, your nutrition will improve and then you can start dialling in your macro levels to suit your activity and lifestyle .