Pimples

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
No more birth control pill, so those annoying middle-cycle pimples are back.

Does anyone happen to have a fantastic remedy to get rid of them? I can't even smile without it hurting right now!

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    YMMV

It'll possibly be different for you. I have oily skin, so I use super light serums in the morning but quite heavy creams at night.

Retinol has worked for me, but never use it in the morning - it reacts with sunlight and can cause serious damage. That's usually a dermatologist prescribed cream. Don't start with anything higher than 0.01% or 0.05%. I made the mistake of jumping to 0.1% and peeled like a snake.

For over the counter, I've been recently using the Murad acne cream from Sephora. I bought their little 30 day kit and experimented with that - didn't like their night moisturizer and have a day one I like from another brand, but the acne solution is awesome and it comes with a tiny tube for spot treatments. Also comes with a pretty awesome face WASH that's pretty unbelievable (to me).

At night I've been using jojoba oil. It comes in a little dropper bottle and it's really helped lighten up some acne scars.

I have an organic bar soap that's citrusy and helps remove the oils from the night before. It's really similar to the Neutrogena morning burst wash, which I recommend too.

As a night time face wash I either use the Sephora Murad stuff or Cetaphil (walmart and walgreens have it). Cetaphil can dry your skin out, so don't use it all the time at first.

Finally, and this one was the most "worth it" to me, I use the Biore charcoal face wash in the shower. Walmart, walgreens, they all have it. Make sure that you work it in your hands into a foam before using it, but a pump will cover your shoulders AND face, and it doesn't dehydrate.

Go with thicker creams/face washes if you have dry skin. Go with gel or water based ones for oily skin (bonus if it foams).

AND GET A TONER OR Astringent.

Seriously.

Put some on a cotton pad and wipe your shoulders and face with it. It basically acts a disinfectant and helps grab whatever your soap missed. It's WAY more effective than wipes, dirt cheap, and lasts forever. You'll probably have to buy new cotton pads before you have to get another bottle of toner.

TL;DR:
    1) get a face wash that's compatible with your skin type
    2) use a toner
    3) put on acne cream
    4) seal with a moisturizer because the above chemicals will dry you out at first.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Quit dairy
  • Francl27
    Options
    I usually use a cleanser from Olay. It's actually done miracles at getting rid of those tiny little red 'acne' spots I used to get in the Summer and managing my oily skin.. but I still get pimples.
  • aeloine
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I use the Neutrogena toner. This was the only link I could find. OBVI don't buy this one. I think I spent like $8 at Walmart for the stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Clear-Oil-Eliminating-Astringent-8-Quantity/dp/B00620QEQG/ref=sr_1_22_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1509391646&sr=1-22&refinements=p_89:Neutrogena

ETA: oh, the link is for qty 6. It's $7.5 per bottle.
  • aeloine
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I usually use a cleanser from Olay. It's actually done miracles at getting rid of those tiny little red 'acne' spots I used to get in the Summer and managing my oily skin.. but I still get pimples.

It really is beyond just a cleanser. A cleanser helps remove some dirt from your skin and primes it for the other stuff.

A couple of MFPers really recommend rosewater. @MeeseeksAndDestroy posted a recipe for homemade here or you can buy from the store: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604964/skin-issues
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think it's just a matter of finding the products that work for your particular skin, which is a lot of trial and error. No silver bullets, unfortunately. I've always had acne-prone skin, but as long as I stick to my regime it's good.

What works for ME is:
    Drinking lots of water
    Washing my face EVERY night. I skipped a night last week and paid :grumble:
    This cleanser: https://www.target.com/p/key-west-aloe-gentle-aloe-facial-wash-6-oz/-/A-50663681
    This moisturizer: https://www.target.com/p/embryolisse-lait-cr-232-me-concentre-2-6-oz/-/A-50269754
    This mask: https://www.junejacobs.com/product/collections/detoxify-and-renew/papaya-purifying-enzyme-masque/214104/each
    This foundation: https://www.lorealparisusa.com/products/makeup/face/foundation-makeup/infallible-pro-matte-foundation.aspx?shade=classic-ivory-101
    And NO hair products that contain cones (dimethicone, silicone, etc)
  • svetskisampion
    svetskisampion Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    OTC benzoyl topical creams clear pimples up well, and if your skin can tolerate it, witch hazel or apple cider vingear cleansers help
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Ditto @pinuplove about the hair products - it took me YEARS to figure that one out. D'oh!

Also, I'm way too lazy to stick with it, but when I'm using my Clarisonic brush thingie consistently, my skin is WAY better. I use it in the evening for TWO minutes (not just one) with the neutrogena liquid cleanser. I typically don't use it in the morning, and if I have an active breakout, it avoid that area, because the brush will make it worse. Consistent, preventative use is the key.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Youtube. Dr Pimple Popper

Your welcome.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Youtube. Dr Pimple Popper

Your welcome.

Noooo that's disgusting.

I was going to post a link to one but I couldn't even take that next step.
  • Francl27
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    I use the Neutrogena toner. This was the only link I could find. OBVI don't buy this one. I think I spent like $8 at Walmart for the stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Clear-Oil-Eliminating-Astringent-8-Quantity/dp/B00620QEQG/ref=sr_1_22_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1509391646&sr=1-22&refinements=p_89:Neutrogena

ETA: oh, the link is for qty 6. It's $7.5 per bottle.

I will look for that one, thanks!
  • elizarizo
    elizarizo Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Witchhazel
  • HealthyAshes88888
    HealthyAshes88888 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I quit wearing foundation and use Mary Kay daily face wash. It's worked great for me. I think it's mostly because I quit the foundation though!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you could use ice to reduce the pimple swelling and pain for a bit. I would think you would want to wrap it in a cloth or something rather than holding it directly against your skin.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    ACV
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I’m 36 and I still get pimples :disappointed: but this has helped. I use whatever simple liquid face wash is around (it’s only there for a moment, so it just needs to clean and not leave a film) and a bleached wash rag to clean. Then I apply a few drops of grape seed oil, while still damp, to moisturize. It’s just the stuff from the cooking aisle. Lotions are emolients, and they use some sort of wax to maintain that texture. The active ingredient is usually a cheap oil like mineral oil. I use “exfolikate” now and then, when my skin get dull bc having a layer of dry skin can make it worse. Also, drink lots of water.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    In my case it's very diet related. Cutting back on added sugars seems to clear up my skin. Nothing topical ever made a difference long term. Neither did antibiotics, although they worked short term.

Working out hard enough to sweat every day also seems to help. I just know when I live right, my skin is almost perfect, and when I'm lazy and eat badly I have bad cystic acne.