Interesting mind switch

Options
I have been in a bit of a slump lately- frequently going over calories, just feeling less motivated. I decided on the weekend to switch over to maintenance for a couple of months as I needed a break and I am also conscious that it will be harder to keep up with my workouts as winter settles in. So I adjusted my goals to maintenance and suddenly I find that I am all energized and motivated to keep my calories under maintenance! I am meeting my previous calorie goal now that I am coming at it from the other direction. Very strange how my mind works. Have any of you experienced a similar thing?

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Well played. Not gaining weight is a fine goal. You can always go back to losing later. Also, the darkening days are hard enough without calorie restriction!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    There's been a post floating around about diet breaks and refeeds and it's really emphasized the positive physical and mental effects of taking a breather and maintaining for a while. Congrats to you for not throwing in the towel!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    I have been in a bit of a slump lately- frequently going over calories, just feeling less motivated. I decided on the weekend to switch over to maintenance for a couple of months as I needed a break and I am also conscious that it will be harder to keep up with my workouts as winter settles in. So I adjusted my goals to maintenance and suddenly I find that I am all energized and motivated to keep my calories under maintenance! I am meeting my previous calorie goal now that I am coming at it from the other direction. Very strange how my mind works. Have any of you experienced a similar thing?

Might be purely psychological . . . but "in a slump" and "less motivated" can also be signs of being at too big a calorie deficit, or at a reasonable deficit for too long.

Is it possible that eating just a bit a bit more for a short time is what got you to "energized and motivated"?

You might find some interesting things in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I have been suggesting like crazy today that people consider taking a break. Both from training and from nutrition (not going nuts....just sitting at maintenance). It really does wonders....physically AND mentally.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I've lost 72 pounds over the past few years. I've gone on maintenance for two extended periods; just going off the second now. It's been invaluable to me in proving to myself that I can succeed at maintenance for the long haul - given the many times in the past when I've lost weight only to put it all back on again.