Halloween Candy Crisis

Options
Anyone else struggling??

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    So far I'm pleasantly surprised at my ability to moderate the Halloween candy. We have mini Snickers which are 42 calories and 5 carbs apiece, and I've been eating one every couple of days or so instead of my daily piece of dark chocolate. I haven't touched the Reece's cups even when my husband eats them and I can smell them. They smell soooo good! But I remind myself I don't even like them all that much. I think it's easier to resist because I do have a treat every day.

We still have a bunch of cheap stuff left from last year - we never know from year to year whether we're going to get twenty kids or two hundred, and last year it was more like twenty. I did eat all the Smarties out of it as after workout blood sugar boosters. A roll of Smarties fits nicely in my tiny little workout pants pocket!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Nooope... after the Halloween party on the weekend I'm totally over candy. I bought some for the trick-or-treaters tonight, but I'll bring any leftovers into the office first thing in the morning.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I get the struggle. I only struggle with it because I'm sitting outside with a big bowl of candy and I find it hard to not help myself to it throughout trick or treating haha. I'm pretty good at staying away from it in stores, unless I have a very intense craving and in that case I'll buy a single serve candy and make sure it fits in my calorie budget. The last trick or treater to come to my house is usually a lucky one because I end up just dumping the rest of the candy into their bag so I don't have leftovers! My neighborhood is very popular for trick or treat so I usually get a ton of kids throughout the 2 hours and don't have much left at the end anyway
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I also struggle because I'm addicted to chocolate lol. I've dove into the fun size snickers twice in the last two days and probably will again tonight. I am in maintenance so it's not as big a deal to me, I simply work harder during workouts on weeks like this to put those extra calories to use building more muscle. But I have found that part of my personal problem is stopping. I can eat 1 little chocolate bar, but want a 2nd. If I eat the 2nd, I want a third. So what I have to make myself do is eat a couple then stop and walk away, get something to drink, and wait a while. I usually don't want them as bad if I do that. That way it's a small treat and not a huge binge of candy lol. Regardless, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it, just practice portion control and have fun.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Nope...we never need to have candy in the house other than what we would normally have because we're always out with the kids trick or treating so not home to pass out candy.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about it now, but once I've had dinner, I'll be too full to want much. Maybe one or two minis...but that's it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Really though, buy the candy you don't like.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Nope...we never need to have candy in the house other than what we would normally have because we're always out with the kids trick or treating so not home to pass out candy.

My kids get cold/bored pretty fast still (at 9. Weird kids) so only last an hour or so and we always end up having kids showing up too... it's always random though, which sucks, I can run out with one bag in 30 minutes or buy two and have way too much extra. I probably bought too much candy this year but my mom will stay home to give it away.

We could ignore the kids that come over, but the dog goes crazy anyway and we have the lights on inside, so whatever.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Nope. Meh.

But Mrs Jruzer roasted pumpkin seeds with cinnamon, sugar, and cumin. THAT I'm having problems avoiding.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Really though, buy the candy you don't like.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

My kids get cold/bored pretty fast still (at 9. Weird kids) so only last an hour or so and we always end up having kids showing up too... it's always random though, which sucks, I can run out with one bag in 30 minutes or buy two and have way too much extra. I probably bought too much candy this year but my mom will stay home to give it away.

We could ignore the kids that come over, but the dog goes crazy anyway and we have the lights on inside, so whatever.

We usually go meet up with one of my wife's friends and her little girl and go trick or treating with them...our neighborhood really isn't conducive to trick or treating as there are no sidewalks or street lights so it's really dark and some people like to speed through the neighborhood...a few years ago, my oldest and I were almost run over on halloween and that was the last time we did it in our neighborhood.

We go to the other neighborhood and walk around for an hour or so and then go back to my wife's friends house to hang out a bit and drink some wine...by the time we get home, it's usually 9 PM and everything is over with.