Halloween Buffet

Options
I started my plan on October22 and within the first week I rapidly lost 13 pounds. With the last four days the weight balanced out at a 11 pound loss.

Today we have a luncheon which is potluck and to be honest, I’d dreading it because of my plan I’ve allotted myself a cheat meal for the luncheon. I also plan to eat in plan throughout the day except for the luncheon so I don’t fall off track.

Advice?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    look at your weekly goal.

did you mean to post this in the maintaining forum?
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    For me, I just admit it's really hard to stick to my plan at potlucks. I don't know exactly what's in them, they tend to feature calorie-laden stuff, and it's hard to choose. Ugh.

So what I do is:

When possible, load up on veggies without dressing (or control the portion yourself) or dip on the plate. It makes it look fuller and it "crowds out" empty space that's tempting to fill with food.

Try to stick to things you can have a rough idea of the calorie amount. Lasagna, for instance, is about 300 calories a serving and lots of people bring lasagna or baked ziti or whatever.

Desserts. Ah, desserts. I try to remember 3-4 bites is enough to really taste and enjoy something. So try to pick one really good looking thing. (Yeah, if someone brings fruit, choose that but I bet everyone will go with baked goods!)

Eating throughout the day to avoid coming to the potluck starving is a great plan. But remember you'll still have to face the potluck when you get there.

Also remember one day "off the wagon" being over your allotted account will not negate your entire diet. Just get back on track November 1st.

(This issue will come up again and again during the Thanksgiving-Christmas season on the boards. A lot of us just shrug, do our best not to go nuts at the holiday party, and get on with things the next day.)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Eat sensibly and then get back on your plan after the dinner.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Luncheons are great. You can easily skip breakfast and dinner most of the time. I love having my big meals at lunch, but I realize that everyone is different.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My advice would be if you end up "dreading" what should be an enjoyable social situation your plan is a poor one and your focus is far too short term. There are events during your weight loss and even weight maintenance that you need to put some thought into managing - but that's very different to dreading.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    If I am reading your post right you said you lost 13 pounds in a week? That is mostly likely 80% water. I am guessing you are on a low carb program. If you go off your plan at the buffet you will probably gain a substantial amount back but again it will be water. If you follow the advice here you should be ok but just be aware of the water weight issue and don't give up if there is a gain.

In the long term you need to be able to follow your program indefinately once you get to goal weight with slight increases in calories. You will also need to learn to handle these social situations. One step at a time. Good luck!