Struggling

Options
Trying to get on board with a ketogenic diet. Really struggling. Any tips? Just crave carbs all the time. Hard that I cannot even have quinoa or beans to help fill me up. Looking for some tips and suggestions on tasty meals.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    NJConlon wrote: »
    Trying to get on board with a ketogenic diet. Really struggling. Any tips? Just crave carbs all the time. Hard that I cannot even have quinoa or beans to help fill me up. Looking for some tips and suggestions on tasty meals.

is there a medical reason you need to follow a keto diet?
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason for doing keto, you don't have to do it. I tried it and could NOT handle it. I run so much better on 150-175g of carbs. :)
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I suggest eating foods you enjoy and counting calories. Don't worry so much about carbs. They're not bad for you.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe keto just isn't the best diet for you.
  • keto_strong
    keto_strong Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Starting out with keto is tough. It's a big adjustment for most. Sometimes it's so hard to figure out what to eat that we end up not eating enough. Filling up on (healthy) fats is really satiating, even more so than carbs and it doesn't leave you hungry an hour later. That's one of the best things about it .. no cravings and no hunger between meals. Well that and the weight loss, increased energy and lower bp! It takes about two weeks to transition from burning glucose to ketones for fuel .. once that happens the cravings are gone!
    Maybe keto isn't for you .. it's not for everyone and I'm not trying to sell you on it. But if you want to give it a go you can check out ruled.me for a ton of meal suggestions and great recipes. A few of my faves are Bulletproof Coffee, Raspberry Cheesecake Smoothie, Fathead Pizza and Caveman Chili.
    There's also a way to adapt MFP to be more keto friendly to make keeping track of macros easier.