Fall Is Here! Cooking on a Cold Day

Options
nickssweetheart
nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
edited October 2017 in Food and Nutrition
It's cold here today and I HAVE a cold so I feel like soup. I decided to get ahead of schedule since I don't have much going on today and I have some celery and carrots I need to use up. So right now I'm simmering some black beans, and when those are done I plan to make Minestrone and Split Pea soups.

If I have time I might also make a veggie stock out of the odds and ends I've been sticking in my freezer over the past month or so. And I have some whole wheat bread dough thawed and waiting in the refrigerator, so maybe I'll bake that, too. If I do since I'll have the oven on anyway, I might as well roast up my butternut squash.

What do you like to cook when it's cold outside?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Stew and mashed potato is a winter favourite in my house
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Chili, split pea soup, slow cooker pot roast, corned beef, roast chicken w/all the trimmings, lasagna, chicken and dumplings, meatloaf and mash...
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Beef & barley crockpot soup with pretzel rolls. Chicken noodle soup. White chicken chili with cornbread.
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    I forgot about chilis. Yum. I love a nice spicy chili.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I totally crave soup when the temperatures start dropping. I made a giant pot of spicy tomato last night. I love making pumpkin steel cut oatmeal and all types of breads and baked goods when it starts to get cold out as well.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Baked steak with gravy and mashed potatoes
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like others said, stew, soup (butternut squash makes a great soup), chilis. Root vegetables and winter squash.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    zde837kysbaj.png

lunch today was a low calorie high protein high fiber variation of broccoli cheddar soup. Of course a mini toasted ciabatta with butter.

I also had a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. ;)
  • rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I reeeeeaaaally love to bake when it's cold outside. We just had two or three days of coldness here in Florida and I ended up making my boyfriend and his family a pumpkin roll and chocolate chip cookies.... and then had to stop myself from ALSO making an apple pie using a homemade filling from my aunt. Luckily the weather's back to warm, meaning my baking spree will be temporarily gone again!

Beyond that I loooove chili when it's cold out, though now that I actually have time to cook again I'm looking forward to trying out some new soup/stew recipes!
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes, or baked sweet potatoes. The oven can go ahead and warm my house, when it’s cold.
  • karinschoultz
    karinschoultz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    chili, French Onion soup and quiche, chicken and dumplings, lasagna, Split pea soup, lentils, spaghetti and meatballs
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    I reeeeeaaaally love to bake when it's cold outside. We just had two or three days of coldness here in Florida and I ended up making my boyfriend and his family a pumpkin roll and chocolate chip cookies.... and then had to stop myself from ALSO making an apple pie using a homemade filling from my aunt. Luckily the weather's back to warm, meaning my baking spree will be temporarily gone again!

Beyond that I loooove chili when it's cold out, though now that I actually have time to cook again I'm looking forward to trying out some new soup/stew recipes!

I'll be baking every weekend for the next few weekends as I'm recipe testing for an event. I called the local fire department to make sure they would accept donated baked goods and they will, so they're going to be getting chocolate cake, spice cake, blondies, and pumpkin bars! Let's just say I know the struggle of loving to bake and staying in a caloric deficit. :D