Poll - Private Profiles

Options
Just_J_Now
Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
So what do you think of friends who keep their profiles private? Not just their food diaries but their entire profile. Do you delete or nah? They can stalk your pics, see who you're friends with, post on your wall etc, but you can't theirs. Fair or don't care?

Replies

• Just_J_Now
    Options
    Just_J_Now wrote: »
    So what do you think of friends who keep their profiles private? Not just their food diaries but their entire profile. Do you delete or nah? They can stalk your pics, see who you're friends with, post on your wall etc, but you can't theirs. Fair or don't care?

how do you know if its private to friends?

I happen to have a couple on my list I was trying to stalk :laugh: and their profiles are private, so I just wondered.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I don't care.
  • Just_J_Now
    Options

I happen to have a couple on my list I was trying to stalk :laugh: and their profiles are private, so I just wondered.

oh okay... check mine i dont know if it is

Yours isn't. Mine is open only to friends (at least I think it is). My question is why close it to even your friends. What's the point of having mfp "friends"? idk just wondering.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I've been here long enough that I should have figured this stuff out by now, but I haven't. So now, I'm off to: 1) check the settings on my profile; and 2) stalk someone else's.
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    One of my friends that I got from a challenge group has her profile private. I know she is a teacher, so maybe she doesn't want a student to stumble across her account?
  • Just_J_Now
    Options

oh okay... check mine i dont know if it is

Yours isn't. Mine is open only to friends (at least I think it is). My question is why close it to even your friends. What's the point of having mfp "friends"? idk just wondering.

probably like me didnt know lol

Well check your settings. I don't mind my friends looking at my profile (pics etc) but I don't want to share it with everyone. I understand wanting to stay private but I don't understand sending friend requests and wanting to stay private from friends.
  • Just_J_Now
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    They must be hiding the truth. The awful awful truth.

Or they don't want you to steal their pics. I've stolen bunches for "personal use" :open_mouth:

j/k I don't know how to steal pics. :p
  • Just_J_Now
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Sometimes it annoys me, but I am sure that people have their reasons. It is also evident based on flagging/reporting/etc that some people are just haters. I have heard that sometimes these haters recruit their friends to hate as well. So I think some people are doing it to protect themselves from the MFP evildoers.

Interesting. I didn't know there were "recruiters" on here too. I'm happy to be oblivious to all of that nonsense.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    When I first started I kept my profile private. I am super shy. I figured if you like my personality enough to want to be my friend, why should it matter who I was friends with. I only used one picture and I (still) rarely post anything except in response to friends.
    Eventually I opened it all to friends, after a while I didn't care but I knew it bothers some people so whatever, doesn't hurt me and it is my pitiful gesture at trying to be social!
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Unacceptable! Equal opportunity for stalking or no one gets to!
  • Just_J_Now
    Options
    It doesn't really bother me per se, but I was wondering what the whole point of it is. Particularly the ones who request friends, not necessarily the other way around. Hence my thread. I'm curious what people think and am I just weird for thinking it can be "suspect".
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »

Definitely just stalked you. The majority of your "friends" haven't logged in for months. You should dump them

After about 6 months with no logins I delete the fellas. I have a hard time deleting women at all. Such a vice.
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    It doesn't really bother me per se, but I was wondering what the whole point of it is. Particularly the ones who request friends, not necessarily the other way around. Hence my thread. I'm curious what people think and am I just weird for thinking it can be "suspect".

It doesn't bother me, because I was 'private' for so long, but I can say that I like it when people's profiles are open.

Funny tho, a lot of people all you see is a friend list, and to me who cares? I don't care who people are friends with.

I get what you're saying about being suspect too tho, what are you hiding, especially if you don't fill out any info?
  • Just_J_Now
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »

It doesn't bother me, because I was 'private' for so long, but I can say that I like it when people's profiles are open.

Funny tho, a lot of people all you see is a friend list, and to me who cares? I don't care who people are friends with.

I get what you're saying about being suspect too tho, what are you hiding, especially if you don't fill out any info?

I don't care who anyone is friends with, I just think if I allow someone to be privy to my private "stuff" (pictures, drunk status updates :D etc) then they should also share theirs. Otherwise let's just be forum friends or communicate support via private messages only. *shrugs*
  • Just_J_Now
    Options
    I think it makes sense to befriend and support your MFP friends, and then it would make no difference in the least.

There are good reasons for various levels of privacy and you don't need to know everybody's reasons.

They are probably trying to make it through to their completely legitimate and understandable fitness/emotional/life goals just like you.

I never said I needed to know anybody's reasons so cool your jets.
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »

I don't care who anyone is friends with, I just think if I allow someone to be privy to my private "stuff" (pictures, drunk status updates :D etc) then they should also share theirs. Otherwise let's just be forum friends or communicate support via private messages only. *shrugs*

I agree with you, it's nice to share a bit, which I don't often. I notice that some people have their profile open to friends, but it's just a friend list (basically me!)

I actually prefer talking to people one on one, private message is my preference. But I do like reading friends posts and status updates.