Intermittent Fasting Question

Options

Replies

• Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    @CWShultz27105 - I've been following a lot of different websites lately, trying to find the best for ME. I wasn't directing my post at you. I didn't even see yours until later. We must have been typing at the same time. I have been trying 16/8 for now. Most days I'm successful. Somedays (like today) I am not! LOL!

You're right...it has NOTHING to do with SKIPPING MEALS and all to do with timing of your meals. The longer you fast, the more your body uses stored fat for fuel. When you "feed" you eat the same amount of calories you would normally eat. No reason for your body to give you "HANGER" pains if you feed it the same nourishment as always.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    @gita9999 - what is wrong with hangry? LOL!

Everyone is different. This whole topic is just another perfect example of that concept. There are few 'hard and fast rules' here. One of them is Caloric Input excees Caloric Output and you gain weight (and vice versa).

What I find interesting is the mindset of people. It seems to me - and this is my experience - that most people want "just tell me what to do".....I am a huge concept person so feed me the concepts and let me play with them, as I deem appropriate, to see what works for me.

Maybe I am just being a grumpy old man today, but people need to understand that everyone is different and that what works for me may or may not work for you (and, @gita9999 - not directed at you specifically). I think that critical thinking is somehow dormant......

Anyway, I would encourage everyone to play with nutrition....whatever that all might mean.....and find out what works for you. Not for me....not for him....not for her.....but for you. I have been doing this the last three months and I would LOVE to share with everyone that it was a ton of fun. I mean, one week I played with eating 4000 calories a day (a little bit plus, a little bit minus). That was a glorious week!

I am doing IF and enjoy this. 30 years ago I just simply could not eat after 6PM. That was just how I was. Pretty sure that 30 years ago the concept of Intermittent Fasting was not a concept yet. Anyway, it seems to work well for me.

I am also confused (and pretty much likely due to my ignorance) but I did not know that Intermittent Fasting was a way to loose weight by skipping a meal. @malibu927 - am I reading something into your post? And, not being creepy with this - if you do live in Malibu, is Gladstones for Fish (the restaurant) still around? I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE that place. The 'doggie bags' were totally awesome. The things that you can do with aluminium foil....

Ha no, I live in Ohio. I have this name because at the time I drove a Malibu.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The bank is not a living breathing being. Our bodies are. You cannot compare.

Well yeah, you can. Cause energy balance. We burn stored fat in a fasted state. If we extend the fast we extend the time we are burning stored fat. When we then ingest food in whatever window we eat in, say an 8 hour window IF, we will store fat while in energy surplus and burn stored fat when not. If in balance at the end of a 24 hour period, no net fat is stored. If in surplus, net fat is stored. If in deficit, stored net fat is burned.

IF may have some insulin sensitivity benefits but it is just an eating schedule and it's primary benefit is helping some people with compliance to hit their calorie goal. This is human physiology and energy balance. We can compare because this is how we operate.
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    @gita9999 - what is wrong with hangry? LOL!

Everyone is different. This whole topic is just another perfect example of that concept. There are few 'hard and fast rules' here. One of them is Caloric Input excees Caloric Output and you gain weight (and vice versa).

What I find interesting is the mindset of people. It seems to me - and this is my experience - that most people want "just tell me what to do".....I am a huge concept person so feed me the concepts and let me play with them, as I deem appropriate, to see what works for me.

As you just said, everyone is different, some people are like you and like to "play with," a concept while others may find that if they start playing with a concept, pretty soon they've played it into an intermittent fasting plan where they fast for two minutes between donuts. Or is that just me? ;)

I do better with a few hard and fast rules, so I fast from 6PM to noon and if it means sitting at the table watching the clock for a few minutes, until exactly noon, I do it.
    I wanted to second what Jelleigh just said about giving yourself a little time to get used to this plan. I was lightheaded before lunch the first few days and then there was the psychological withdrawal from snacking while watching TV in the evenings. That all passed within a few days.

• barbp7
    barbp7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been trying 12:12 IF. I don't skip any meals. I just remember what time my last meal was at night and try not to eat until 12 hours later the next morning. I like this better than stopping eating at a specific time at night because my daily schedule varies and also I can't sleep if I'm hungry. So if I don't get home from work until 9pm and I want to have a little snack, I just have to remember not to eat until 9:30 the next day. If I have a bigger meal earlier in the evening, maybe 7pm, then I'm good to go until 7am the next day.

This is about all the structure I can handle but I think it is helping me lose weight. It certainly helps me become more aware of my eating habits. Maybe trying 12:12 would be a way to ease into IF and see if it works for you.
  • anyWendy
    anyWendy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't routinely IF, but found it to be really helpful on a recent vacation.

I ate one large meal at a restaurant each evening and otherwise just coffee in the morning. Didn't feel overly hungry, and felt no guilt over wonderful meals each night. Actually lost weight while thoroughly enjoying myself in New Orleans!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Here is my personal anecdotal experience:

I naturally don't eat after 6 (after 5 in daylight saving). I just lose the desire to eat when it starts getting dark. That's how I eat now and that's how I've always eaten. I'm also lazy in the morning. Too lazy to prepare food. So for most of my adult life where breakfast was not prepared for me I've eaten my breakfast after 10 am most of the time and sometimes skipped it altogether. My weight surpassed 300 pounds eating that way, and dipped under 200 pounds eating that way. The difference? To reach a lighter weight I had to count calories.

My usual way of eating (what I learned later was called intermittent fasting) did not protect me against blood pressure, high blood sugar, or high cholesterol. It did not make me automatically thinner than other people. It did not magically rearrange my hormones or give me a higher metabolism (if anything, I burn fewer calories than is expected for my weight). You know what resolved my metabolic syndrome? Weight loss. It had to be deliberate and I had to count calories. You know what resolved my lower metabolism? Increased activity. I have to work harder to achieve a higher burn, but knowing I can have a higher burn is empowering and it's much simpler to go for a walk that burns hundreds of calories than chasing a potential extra 10 calorie burn here or there through overcomplicated regimens that may or may not give us what we're looking for.

Some people find that some changes to their eating schedule or food types helps them achieve a deficit easier. Try it and see, it may be the case for you. The research on the matter is interesting, but I wouldn't rely on it with all the confounding factors involved. It has been hammered into our brains and research was shoved in our faces that people who skipped breakfast tended to be fatter. Now research is being shoved in our faces that people who skip breakfast lose weight. Could it be simply that the change in schedule, in whichever direction, affects spontaneous calorie intake? Who knows. The only thing we can reliably know and trust is our personal experience with how easy/hard something makes it for us personally to achieve a caloric deficit. If weight loss is easier, it's more likely to happen. No reason to overcomplicate things or get lost in minutia.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    honie99 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It's just a tool to help you create a calorie deficit by limiting the amount of time you eat. If you succeed doing it, then it's good.

That's only partly correct. There does seem to be a fair bit of science that suggests the IF regime increases metabolism, lowers insulin levels, increases HGH and so on - all of which can assist in weight loss. If you're interested, there is plenty of reputable studies into this type of activity - when compared to some of the 'fad' type diets that have sprouted over the years.

If you’re going to provide the information, it’s courtesy to link to the studies as well. But IME, I lost exactly the same doing IF than not.

I assume most people can use Google to research topics of interest, but here's a good start: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting#section1

I'm not going to link to all 44 references to studies or articles that are on that page.

While we're on the subject of providing references, can you post anything reliable that says Intermittent Fasting is just a tool to help you create a calorie deficit by limiting the amount of time you eat? ;)

"You can Google it yourself" and "Well can you Prove the opposite" are the most unscientific, copout answers in dialogue history.

+1
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    It's just a tool to help you create a calorie deficit by limiting the amount of time you eat. If you succeed doing it, then it's good.

That's only partly correct. There does seem to be a fair bit of science that suggests the IF regime increases metabolism, lowers insulin levels, increases HGH and so on - all of which can assist in weight loss. If you're interested, there is plenty of reputable studies into this type of activity - when compared to some of the 'fad' type diets that have sprouted over the years.

If you’re going to provide the information, it’s courtesy to link to the studies as well. But IME, I lost exactly the same doing IF than not.

I assume most people can use Google to research topics of interest, but here's a good start: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting#section1

I'm not going to link to all 44 references to studies or articles that are on that page.

While we're on the subject of providing references, can you post anything reliable that says Intermittent Fasting is just a tool to help you create a calorie deficit by limiting the amount of time you eat? ;)

"You can Google it yourself" and "Well can you Prove the opposite" are the most unscientific, copout answers in dialogue history.

+2 You can google non-credible pros and cons for any topic. "You can google it" is a complete non-starter.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    The thing that I found - and continue to find - is that, while Google is indeed your friend and mine, there is sooooo much crappola out there. It is interesting to note that you can pretty much find any article to backup whatever point you want to make. Just look hard enough (and sometimes you do not have to do that).

Just because someone wrote something on some web site does not make it correct. For whatever reason (and I know the reason - critical thinking in this awesome land of our's - just does not happen all that often anymore...shoot, blame it on public education) we want to believe things just because we read it.

Anyway, I have my favorite sources for information and they are pretty good at backing up what they say with science. Did I spell that word correctly? LOL! And pretty much whatever is in there I *tend* to believe. But that is just me....
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    IF isn't for everyone. I figure you need to get the calorie consumption down one way or another. What is easier for you, eat small meals and not get full and feel that pain or skip eating altogether for a longer time (and feel that pain) and then be able to eat tell full, or share the pain a little both ways simulteneously? I've done a 20:4 and then eat ad libitum in the eating window and that has been WAY easier than the small meals. I have a small enough window that I still get a deficit but I still get to eat tell full each day. That is a sustainable plan for me. Always eating small meals and stopping before full would not be very sustainable for me. I also don't have the hassle of weighing or counting calories.

I've lost 55-lbs doing the 20:4 method starting over two years ago (lost most of it the first 5-months and mostly maintained after that doing a 16:8).

I've got a co-worker who mixed the two approaches by doing a 16:8 and some portion control. He eats about a 600 cal lunch, a 200-cal afternoon snack, a moderate dinner, and a late evening snack. He lost 70-lbs in 4-months doing that!

Do what works for you and what is sustainable because we are in this for the long-haul!