MOD pizza calories- too good to be true?

Options
I just went there for the first time today. They have their calories published on the website. I ordered the Calexico pizza (without making any changes) and it says it was only 690 calories for the whole 11 inch pizza. I had looked up the calorie amount online prior to going and was expecting to get something about half that size.

I know the crust is thin, but it was HUGE and there were tons of toppings! I also finished eating about 2 hours ago and I am still completely stuffed. I feel like I had way more than 690 calories. It was delicious and definitely some place I'd love to go regularly, but I just feel like the calorie numbers published on the website are too good to be true. Does anyone else go there? What do you think?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Probably, the MOD pizza near me seems to be pretty loose when it comes to ingredient portions. Still, it's probably no more than 10-20% off from the website. You can try logging 1.2 servings to give a bit more buffer.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I thought that when I went the first time - followed it and still lost - so it must be pretty close.

I love MOD...but lately dairy hasn't been my friend so it's a rarity...
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The thin crust really helps save calories.
    I ate something that I know was 650 calories last night and I was stuffed. If u are used to 300-500 calorie meals nowadays that might just be how you feel after 650 calories.
    I just order my Mod with tons and tons of artichokes. Yum!
  • purplepadres
    purplepadres Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I thought that when I went the first time - followed it and still lost - so it must be pretty close.

I love MOD...but lately dairy hasn't been my friend so it's a rarity...

I can't eat dairy at all, but MOD has a dairy free "cheese" that works in a pinch if you just really need a pizza! It's not ideal, but at the very least it keeps your toppings from sliding off. :smile:
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Well, if you think about the high calorie and low calorie ingredients involved in making a pizza, it may give you an idea of how accurate they are.

High calorie components: crust, cheese, meats
    Low calorie components: sauce, veggies

So if it was a thin crust pizza with not a ton of cheese, and lots of veggies... it could very well be only 700 cals.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    According to their web site, the average Mod size crust ( your 11" ) is 478 calories. If the pictures are any indication of the actual product, I can see this being accurate ( seems to be almost a naan like crust ), if you estimate the weight of the crust to be ~ 10 oz.

My regional supermarket sells a 10 oz naan pizza crust that list 220 cal/serving, which is half the crust.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Well, if you think about the high calorie and low calorie ingredients involved in making a pizza, it may give you an idea of how accurate they are.

So if it was a thin crust pizza with not a ton of cheese, and lots of veggies... it could very well be only 700 cals.

Meat is usually a surprisingly low portion of pizza calories since quantities used are pretty low (for example, a restaurant might use 4-6 ounces of sausage on an entire pie, or a slice of pepperoni pie might only contain 4-5 pieces of pepperoni (about 40-50 calories)).

Sauce is a surprisingly high component since it usually contains a bunch of oil and many places add a bit of sugar, too.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Meat is usually a surprisingly low portion of pizza calories since quantities used are pretty low (for example, a restaurant might use 4-6 ounces of sausage on an entire pie, or a slice of pepperoni pie might only contain 4-5 pieces of pepperoni (about 40-50 calories)).

Sauce is a surprisingly high component since it usually contains a bunch of oil and many places add a bit of sugar, too.

Yeah it definitely depends on where you go. The calorie difference between a pepperoni pizza and a meat lover's pizza will be pretty significant. Meat lover's is usually loaded up with a lot of bacon and sausage which can add a lot.

Most of the places I go to seem to have pretty basic tomato sauce, it never seems oily to me. Some are sweeter, so sugar content is something to think about for sure. I find that the "fresher" the sauce tastes, the more likely it is to be lower cal.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the sort of pizza we get here in the Uk at a place called Pizza express...really thin base, overlaps the plate, interesting toppings, and the lowest count on one of theirs is around 800 calories, with the max being around 1350. I would say 600 odd seems a bit low, plus, each individual chef is going to add differing amounts of the toppings. Better to overestimate and put in a higher number when logging probably.
  • catherbrittany
    catherbrittany Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love mod pizza. The Ella is my favorite!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    Sounds like the sort of pizza we get here in the Uk at a place called Pizza express...really thin base, overlaps the plate, interesting toppings, and the lowest count on one of theirs is around 800 calories, with the max being around 1350. I would say 600 odd seems a bit low, plus, each individual chef is going to add differing amounts of the toppings. Better to overestimate and put in a higher number when logging probably.

The standard Mod 11" crust is smaller than what most carry-out chains in the U.S. sell as a small (standard small in U.S. is 12"). Plus, it's thinner than a regular carry-out chain crust (in the U.S., again -- I don't know what's typical in the U.K. or at the Pizza express in particular. (They also make a Mini Mod that, I believe, has a 6" diameter.)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Yeah it definitely depends on where you go. The calorie difference between a pepperoni pizza and a meat lover's pizza will be pretty significant. Meat lover's is usually loaded up with a lot of bacon and sausage which can add a lot.

Most of the places I go to seem to have pretty basic tomato sauce, it never seems oily to me. Some are sweeter, so sugar content is something to think about for sure. I find that the "fresher" the sauce tastes, the more likely it is to be lower cal.

True...but I guess if one orders the 'meat lovers' pizza they have to expect what they're getting!