Diabetic Dieting tips?

Options
Hello,

This question is really for someone else. This person I know has diabetes, liver problems, and kidney problems, so I'm looking for meal plan ideas. Judging from this person's condition they have to eat meals that are low in sugar, fats, and protein. The hard thing is is that basically this person has to mostly eat vegetables, which is not a bad thing but vegetables aren't filling and there's not many meal options with just veggies.

Ideas on meals and advice are welcome. I am not sure what type of meals this person will be willing to eat, I am just looking for ideas that we could try.

Replies

• MakingOverV
    MakingOverV Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be rude but with all the information online from the American Diabetic Association ( ADA) why would you want to come MFP for information. Also vegetables are filling if you pair them up with lean meats or fish.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Your friend has numerous medical problems, advise them to consult with a registered dietitian. If they can't afford that, go with @MakingOverV's suggestion and use the ADA.

Cheers, h.
  • MitsuShai
    MitsuShai Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be rude but with all the information online from the American Diabetic Association ( ADA) why would you want to come MFP for information. Also vegetables are filling if you pair them up with lean meats or fish.

ADA doesn't have a lot of information, so I wanted to get ideas on meals.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Higher fat may suit her needs: easy on kidneys, good for the liver and often satiating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

I recommend Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. GREAT book.

He made a few youtube videos too. They are not overly entertaining but have good info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VaNJO7KMgg
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Your friend should get a referral to a Certified Diabetes Educator, who will also probably be a registered dietician as well. I know someone at a local hospital that is both. Your friend really needs better info from someone more qualified considering all their issues, rather than people trying to lose weight on a message board.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

I presume low protein due to kidney issues? Is fat a liver issue?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you are right about keeping protein lower for the kidneys sake. But there should still be some.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    It is very hard to control blood sugars on carby foods (fruits, vegetables and whole grains) alone.

You can still help this person by watching portion sizes.

The ADA plate half full of veggies is still a useful graphic. It can help your friend visualize what a balanced diet looks like.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/nonalcoholic-fatty-liver-disease/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20354573
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    MitsuShai wrote: »
    Hello,

This question is really for someone else. This person I know has diabetes, liver problems, and kidney problems, so I'm looking for meal plan ideas. Judging from this person's condition they have to eat meals that are low in sugar, fats, and protein. The hard thing is is that basically this person has to mostly eat vegetables, which is not a bad thing but vegetables aren't filling and there's not many meal options with just veggies.

Ideas on meals and advice are welcome. I am not sure what type of meals this person will be willing to eat, I am just looking for ideas that we could try.
    My general advice would be to look to adopt a plant based diet with some animal meat on a non-daily basis, preferring so-called 'white' meats and fish.

This person can look into incorporating complex carbohydrates for a majority of their calories. Solid inclusions like everything whole-grain bagels and pasta will keep the diet looking more familiar.

Vegetables can be filling depending on what they are and how they're prepared. Look to rice and beans for some extra punch when it comes to protein.

Variety will help so keep an eye out for ideas or to incorporate new ingredients.

The last line of defense would be the meat-like substitutions made for vegetarians. A lot of it is expensive, but some of it really isn't, for example: vegetarian hot dogs, etc. If you cook it for what it is and prepare it in a way that suits its taste and texture, it'll make for a pretty decent meal.

Some snacks you may want to keep on hand to help with the transition can ease the difficulty in adjusting to the new diet: hummus & pita, salsa & chips, etc.

Finally, there are far more vegetables and fruits than there are meats, so there are actually fewer meal options with just meats than there are with just plants.
  • MitsuShai
    MitsuShai Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    davidylin wrote: »
    My general advice would be to look to adopt a plant based diet with some animal meat on a non-daily basis, preferring so-called 'white' meats and fish.

This person can look into incorporating complex carbohydrates for a majority of their calories. Solid inclusions like everything whole-grain bagels and pasta will keep the diet looking more familiar.

Vegetables can be filling depending on what they are and how they're prepared. Look to rice and beans for some extra punch when it comes to protein.

Variety will help so keep an eye out for ideas or to incorporate new ingredients.

The last line of defense would be the meat-like substitutions made for vegetarians. A lot of it is expensive, but some of it really isn't, for example: vegetarian hot dogs, etc. If you cook it for what it is and prepare it in a way that suits its taste and texture, it'll make for a pretty decent meal.

Some snacks you may want to keep on hand to help with the transition can ease the difficulty in adjusting to the new diet: hummus & pita, salsa & chips, etc.

Finally, there are far more vegetables and fruits than there are meats, so there are actually fewer meal options with just meats than there are with just plants.

Thank you so much! This really helps a lot; I appreciate it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hello,

With multiple medical issues, your friend should be referred to a RD. Also, with kidney issues, plant based/vegetables can also be an issue due to potassium. High potassium and kidney issues typically don't mix.

My dad was in a similar boat and his RD worked with him the best she could...but at that point it was kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing...if he ate to address one issue, it exacerbated one of the others kind of thing...

Bottom line is that given multiple medical conditions, this is well beyond the scope of anyone on MFP and I'd take any recommendation here with a huge grain of salt...it is not the appropriate venue given the issues.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    davidylin wrote: »
    Hello,

With kidney issues you have to be careful with vegetables/plant based eating as well. My dad had kidney disease and he had a whole list of vegetables and fruits he was told to avoid or to eat very moderately due to the amounts of potassium in them.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables both high and low in potassium.

https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/potassium

For kidney disease, pick those low in potassium.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Being low on carbs, fat, and protein is being low on all macros. This is not possible. Friend needs some medical guidance in how to prioritize/balance these concerns.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I forgot my usual caution to consult with a medical professional, or in this case, a registered dietician (RD or RDN). The advice I gave should be in-line with whatever recommendations were made by a medical professional.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation to consult with a certified diabetes educator.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation to consult with a certified diabetes educator.

Only if that certified diabetes educator is also knowledgeable about how to address the liver and kidney issues.
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Being low on carbs, fat, and protein is being low on all macros. This is not possible. Friend needs some medical guidance in how to prioritize/balance these concerns.

^^ This. So much this. My guess would be eating to address whichever condition would kill the patient quickest without the appropriate diet. Depending on how far these conditions have progressed, starving the patient by trying to go low on all three macros could be the worst choice.

The friend should get a referral from the doctor to a dietician who understands the whole picture and knows what the priorities are.