Oxalate restricted meals

Options
AMRROL
AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
I have recently been diagnosed with high urine ph, high uric acid, and extremely high urine oxalate crystals. I have been put on a strict low oxalate diet, but was wondering if there are any other people out there in MFP land who also are oxalate restricted. What are some of your favorite foods or recipes for low oxalate meals.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    have you been provided a referral to a RD for help with meal planning to deal with this?
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    have you been provided a referral to a RD for help with meal planning to deal with this?

Yes, but she severely limited all choices.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    AMRROL wrote: »

Is it possible there's a reason for that?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options

This is likely because the reality of your situation is that sort of restriction is necessary. I personally would not make suggestions contrary to what your RD has given. If you are unhappy with the restrictions, speak to the RD about the reason behind them.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Did you ask why?
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Here's a list of foods you can eat, in addition to foods you should avoid; if they gave you only a list of stuff to avoid I can see how it would seem restrictive: https://www.drugs.com/cg/low-oxalate-diet.html
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I try watch my oxalate due to a bout of calcium-oxalate kidney stones I experienced about 18 months ago but I'm not religious about it. Make sure you have a good source of calcium in your diet, but not via supplements as those can actually increase chances of kidney stones. Calcium binds with oxalate in your gut and thus it won't make it into your blood and ultimately your kidneys.

There's a Yahoo group (yes, yahoo is still around) for low oxalate information here.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Is the high uric acid in your blood level? Are you on a low purine diet as well? If so, that would be a tough combination.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to avoid gout, or are you symptom free so far? My sympathies. This is a painful condition. Drinking water can help too.