Menopause/Perimenopause & Weight Loss Support Group

Options
I am almost officially in menopause and weight loss has gotten much slower. I also probably have to take some hormones which doesn't help either. I am frustrated because I feel that I do all the right things and the scale isn't budging. Due to one hormone drug, I gained ten pounds (Thank you Premarin), so I got off of it and now I am slowly losing that weight. Any thoughts? What is your story?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh yes. 46, had every symptom in the book. I can handle them all, every single one of them BUT the Anxiety.never had it my whole life till now. HELL.
  • pierce304
    pierce304 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Between the two...struggling for 5-6 years. Weight loss, metabolism, energy...all factors interacting with each other. Drives me crazy. I do keep wondering though...where are all the men and younger women in this thread?? I'm shocked we don't have an onslaught of "its all about calories in and calories out, nothing else." Hormones don't matter...its not a real thing! LOL

This is SO TRUE!!!!!!!!!!! For years...I never paid much attention to my mother when she was going through this. And then it hit me and ALL BETS WERE OFF!!! It is such an intricate dance of hormones, energy, weight loss, mood, body temperature!!!! I take so many vitamins each day just to feel normal...

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,177 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @pierce304 We're similar in symptoms. In the last six months, I got this muffin top, jelly roll. Never had that before. Anxiety, feel like I'm crawling out of my skin sometimes. I'm not used to all this. Just sharing how I can relate;) thanks for the tip on Evening Primrose- i will look it up.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options

Yep ... that's where I've posted quite a bit. :)

There's also an actual Group ...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
  • JessicaChicago70
    JessicaChicago70 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Specifically, I am dealing with a lack of libido and painful sex. I tried Premarin but it had a lot of side effects.
  • sclause
    sclause Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am 24 and due to a genetic condition I am needing my ovaries removed. This is going to put me into menopause and I am very scared at what's going to happen with my weight
  • sclause
    sclause Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Specifically, I am dealing with a lack of libido and painful sex. I tried Premarin but it had a lot of side effects.

This is something I am afraid of happening :/
  • sstrack123
    sstrack123 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    the ever changing cycle of us women
  • jgnickel
    jgnickel Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and am in menopause. The Dr has me taking Femguard, primrose oil, and gaba. They have reduced the anxiety and hot flashes. Losing weight has been a struggle. I am hoping that it's my complete lack of motivation to get more active. The lack of libido did finally go away after I was on the supplements for about a month, but I haven't dealt with painful sex. The joys of being a girl..
  • misshoe
    misshoe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went to a Naturopath this week for help with hormones cause I know perimenopause is a contributing factor in not being able to lose as well as other health issues. Black cohosh is better than evening primrose for menopausal symptoms. She suggested I take it every day & not just before my TOM. We'll see how it goes! I have been on Weight Watchers this past year & only lost 15 lbs :'(
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • boxerluvr80
    boxerluvr80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New to this community thing.... but I think I have found my neighborhood. I am 56 and have been dealing with menopausal symptoms for years. Recently lost my mom which has sent me into a horrible place. Depression and anxiety out of control. I need friends to help me get the weight off and get back living a healthy lifestyle.
  • Pugprincess74
    Pugprincess74 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    About to hit menopause the doctor said as been peri for a while
  • JessicaChicago70
    Options
    New to this community thing.... but I think I have found my neighborhood. I am 56 and have been dealing with menopausal symptoms for years. Recently lost my mom which has sent me into a horrible place. Depression and anxiety out of control. I need friends to help me get the weight off and get back living a healthy lifestyle.

So sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my Dad last year and it was horrible. This is a good community to find support.

• JessicaChicago70
    Options
    sclause wrote: »
    I am 24 and due to a genetic condition I am needing my ovaries removed. This is going to put me into menopause and I am very scared at what's going to happen with my weight

I’m finding that weight loss is difficult but not impossible. You have to really stay on your game in terms of nutrition and exercise.