Protein powders

Options
Hi, I'm thinking about trying a whey protein powder for after my workouts but there is a plethora of choices out there and I'm really confused. I don't want anything that tastes horrible and I'd also like it not contain artificial sweeteners and not break the bank. Any suggestions?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Quest and Trutein are my favorites.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Isopure Whey Isolate...no sweeteners, and you can mix it with about anything. I like it mixed with coffee and/or chocolate milk.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I like MyProtein Impact Whey. They have "natural" flavours as well as loads of crazy ones loaded with artificial sweeteners.

Sensible question though... Do you know *why* you're thinking about protein powders, and what you're hoping they'll do for you? A lot of people think they're a magic bullet of some kind, which sadly isn't true...
  • klkc2005
    klkc2005 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I recently started to do more hiit type workouts with dumbells and body weight exercises. I thought that the extra protein would help my muscles repair post workout and would help me to not to overeat after my workouts. I have about 10 pounds of stubborn weight so as i try to lose this weight, I want to get rid of some of the flab and tone my muscles.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you'd like to avoid too many artificial additives, consider Naked Whey. I mix it with water and then add 1 tbsp honey because it improves the taste and I want some carbs in my post-workout shake. I also really like the Whole Foods chocolate whey protein powder.
  • ktillot
    ktillot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Protein is great to have after the workout to help rebuild the muscles you are breaking down in the gym. As long as you have a high quality protein with an incredible amino acid profile, you will see wonderful gains!
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    I like MyProtein Impact Whey. They have "natural" flavours as well as loads of crazy ones loaded with artificial sweeteners.

Sensible question though... Do you know *why* you're thinking about protein powders, and what you're hoping they'll do for you? A lot of people think they're a magic bullet of some kind, which sadly isn't true...

• MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Second vote for the MyPtotein series of protein powders - you cannot beat the price and they have the highest ranking possible on LabDoor, which tests products for purity. The Cinnamon Roll Isolate has 20g Protein, 90 Cals, 1g Fat, 0 Carbs, 0 sugar. Tastes awesome with just water.

If you are looking for protein with minimal fat and carbs, looks for proteins labeled isolates.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    ktillot wrote: »
    Protein is great to have after the workout to help rebuild the muscles you are breaking down in the gym. As long as you have a high quality protein with an incredible amino acid profile, you will see wonderful gains!

:#
    I'm good with my own reasoning on protein and why I set the macro I do, what I'm hoping to achieve and so on.

I just wanted to check that @klkc2005 had done the same and wasn't hoping for a magic weightloss bullet like lots of people on here seem to. But they seem to have their head screwed on, particularly opting for high protein to avoid other over eating after a workout.
    I also started using protein powders when I started a HIIT and weights routine. I ditched the HIIT, kept the weights, and discovered that I could just work the protein into my day rather than having a specific shake after my workout, but that was the start of my journey too. I think it's a common place to start. I think it does help with muscle soreness when you're new to weights etc.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Protein powder is a convenient meal substitute for "real" food.

As long as you don't expect anything beyond that go for it.

It is usually a more expensive way to eat food but it is convenient and quickly made.

Claims about protein powder's amazing power to build muscle is sales hype.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    klkc2005 wrote: »
    I recently started to do more hiit type workouts with dumbells and body weight exercises. I thought that the extra protein would help my muscles repair post workout and would help me to not to overeat after my workouts. I have about 10 pounds of stubborn weight so as i try to lose this weight, I want to get rid of some of the flab and tone my muscles.

The amount of protein you get throughout the day is more important than the timing of that protein. Personally, I'd recommend trying to get samples to see what you like best. I am a fan of Muscle Pharma, Pure Protein, and Quest.
  • lesbarkhouse
    lesbarkhouse Posts: 29 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    My personal favorites... MyProtein Mocha, natural Vanilla, Strawberry, Cookies and Cream. I also really like the new Nestle Boost protein. Only drawback to boost is the small containers offered, but I guess the target audience is old folks!

Personal taste of course but the MyProtein Whey I find way too sweet is the cinnamon roll.