Sweet Misery - dangers of aspartame

Options
I just found this documentary on Hulu about the (alleged) dangers of aspartame. I thought it might be of interest to many people on MFP.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/162709/sweet-misery

Replies

• Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    I couldn't watch it because it's only available to those in the US. I've read about that and other sweeteners and colourings before though. Some colourings are by-products of the petro-chemical industry. A lot of sweeteners have zero calories because they're not even food - they're just chemicals that happen to taste sweet!

Yum!
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    very scary stuff..i was already suspect of this sweetener and sweeteners in general and stay away from them, apparently, for good reason!
  • anikab
    anikab Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yes I only use real sugar if I even need it and that's once a day in my coffee. otherwise, I don't need it. splenda and all that other ish is horrible for you.
  • bigwigbob
    bigwigbob Posts: 2
    Options
    more babble. It isnt that bad for you, well any more bad than being overweight from consuming sugar
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    more babble. It isnt that bad for you, well any more bad than being overweight from consuming sugar

There is also the third option of just lessening sugar and sugar substitutes. Not everything needs to be sweetened.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options

the chemicals that make up artificial sweeteners are not digestible in out bodies. They are toxins that with high enough levels, like drinking the equivilant of a liter of diet coke everyday for a year, can cause irreversible side effects and damage to the mind and body. Atleast fat is digestible.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I think its more about moderation, yes they are chemicals, but how much is actually in a diet soda?
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I think its more about moderation, yes they are chemicals, but how much is actually in a diet soda?

Why would you even want to put chemicals in your body that it can not digest and then develops into toxins................

The whole mentality of "in moderation" and "Well its just one soda so it won't hurt" does not ring well in my head at all.

That is why there are needs in the modern world for people to "detox" their bodies from all the crap you put into it.

You get out of your body what you put into it.

I am glad that I say no thanks to sodas. I very rarely ever have a soda now days.
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Well Said! Thank you! It all depends on who writes the articles! :drinker: