Getting a physical for 1st time in 4 yrs - anything I should ask?

Options
So I am getting a physical today for the 1st time in years.
Is there anything I should ask or mention to my doctor besides that I am trying to lose weight?

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    You only need to ask specific questions if you have specific concerns. Otherwise, your doctor will know what to do. To him/her you're just a piece of machinery with a standard maintenance schedule!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Discuss your exercise goals to be sure it's safe to do what you plan.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    If this is someone you are considering as your GP going forward, I would ask about his/her practice:
    1) what conditions/illnesses present most frequently (i.e. has the most experience dealing with)?
    2) what are the greatest risk factors in the area? (e.g. HepC is crazy in San Diego & would screen for it there)

The content of the answers would interest me, but also how he/she talks about the practice.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have found that most doctors weren't able to provide me with useful weight loss tips. I think you should absolutely consult your doctor about any new exercise you plan to do, and ask if there's any reason why you should be cautious or not do any types of exercise. If you have specific health conditions that mean you need to eat a special diet, then I would talk about that. And if you have weight-related health concerns, you could mention those. For me, though, conversations with my doctors didn't change until after I'd lost a pretty substantial amount of weight.
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Depending on your age, weight, and lifestyle "smoker" I would ask for a full blood work up to start off. Since you're on this site you may be needing to drop some weight. Checking your levels will help you design a better idea of a food plan and goals. Plus it is always best to catch illness's as soon as possible such as cholesterol or triglycerides and blood sugar. Catching and treating these things as early as possible is always best. Also ask if you should get a heart/cancer screening at your local hospital. Most insurances cover these types of tests at least once a year.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You could ask some general questions, wouldn't hurt. Stuff like:

- Now that I'm [xx] years old, are there any changes you'd recommend me making to my lifestyle? Are there any procedures/tests I should consider having done soon (coloscopy, mammogram, whatever)?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Good advice above. Only other thing is if you have symptoms of PCOS (google it), ask them about that. Women who have it are more likely to have thyroid & vitamin D issues, so you'd want to get tested for those. Vit. D is good to test anyway, unless you're in the sun a lot. :+1:
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Preventative testing- colonoscopy, breast/testicular imaging
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Good advice above. Only other thing is if you have symptoms of PCOS (google it), ask them about that. Women who have it are more likely to have thyroid & vitamin D issues, so you'd want to get tested for those. Vit. D is good to test anyway, unless you're in the sun a lot. :+1:

A lot of insurances no longer cover Vitamin D testing unless the patient has a few very specific diagnosis (diagnoses? AHHHH) I don't know why, I just know that the doctors and midlevels I work with quit ordering them entirely because the test runs $80+.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Depending on age and sex, you might want referrals for mammogram, Papp smear, bone density, prostate, and blood tests for blood sugar, thyroid, iron, hepatitis etc. You may need immunizations like tetanus, flu, etc.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Depending on age and sex, you might want referrals for mammogram, Papp smear, bone density, prostate, and blood tests for blood sugar, thyroid, iron, hepatitis etc. You may need immunizations like tetanus, flu, etc.

OP should not need to ask for any of these tests. If doc can't figure out that much, need new doc.
  • masiladi
    masiladi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Unless you have special conditions, a GP will usually give very simple weight loss advice. Depending on your weight e.g. are you overweight a little or obese, you may need a full set of bloods (which you should check annually). If you have other complicating factors be very upfront and honest with them about your physical and mental condition. The other thing I have found over the years is that its best to go with a doctor who sort of mimics your life stage and gender...e.g. I am 55 so my doctor is male like me and about my age. They will be a bit more empathetic and may actually have had the same "battles" that you have had or are having.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    You might want to ask about the weird growth on your back, and the fact that you wake up screaming at 2 a.m. every night, the headaches and fever you've been having since your tropical vacation, and the way your lips and tongue burn and swell when you eat peanut butter sandwiches ... Not you? Well, we don't know what special concerns you have, so we really can't tell you what to ask about. If there's been some change in your health, unexplained symptoms, etc., or there are things you're concerned about, ask.
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You might want to ask about the weird growth on your back, and the fact that you wake up screaming at 2 a.m. every night, the headaches and fever you've been having since your tropical vacation, and the way your lips and tongue burn and swell when you eat peanut butter sandwiches ... Not you? Well, we don't know what special concerns you have, so we really can't tell you what to ask about. If there's been some change in your health, unexplained symptoms, etc., or there are things you're concerned about, ask.

Haha!!!