Binge

Options
It was last night. I ordered the medium pizza deal that came with garlic sticks and cinnamon bread. I ate the medium pizza, gathered up the rest and threw it in the garbage. I am so over that now. After two weeks of eating healthy, I felt like crap!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    One pizza? How big are we talking?
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Binging is usually related to depriving yourself of foods you love. You know you can still eat pizza right? Just make it fit into your daily calorie limit set for you by MFP.

+10000000000
    Any time I've ever failed a diet it's because it either restricted or completely cut out foods that I love, which is not at all sustainable for me. I still have my pizza, my chocolate, my icecream, and my fries with a cheeseburger. But I eat less of it.
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It was last night. I ordered the medium pizza deal that came with garlic sticks and cinnamon bread. I ate the medium pizza, gathered up the rest and threw it in the garbage. I am so over that now. After two weeks of eating healthy, I felt like crap!

Props to you for refusing to eat the rest, it's definitely a step in the right direction.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    It's one meal, one day. Chalk it up to a lesson learned about how eating too much pizza makes you feel yucky and move along.

I'm not sure what 2 weeks of eating healthy looks like to you, but I had pizza last night. It fit my calories and isn't going to harm my progress in the least. Make sure you're not being overly restrictive and setting yourself up for failure.
  • your_pal_crusher
    your_pal_crusher Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    ^^ great advice! Keep fighting the good fight!
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Binging is usually related to depriving yourself of foods you love. You know you can still eat pizza right? Just make it fit into your daily calorie limit set for you by MFP.

Sometimes this is true, but not always the case. Binges can be driven by a number of other factors as well and have nothing to do with the actual food in question. Do you generally have binge tendencies OP? I do myself, and I totally understand the feeling of not having control of the situation. My last big binge was the end of last year and scared the *kitten* out of me. I should have probably gotten professional help, instead I made some drastic changes that have really helped. Those feelings creep in from time to time, but it's improved quite a bit.

If this is just an isolated incident or something rare, then it's really no big deal. Just move forward. :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Sorry you felt bad, OP. You might as well gather up all the learning you can from the experience. What led up to it? Emotions that needed soothing? Insufficient planning? Feelings of deprivation? Inadequate sleep? (Sleep has huge impacts on hunger hormones.) what can you do differently next time?

For me, binges happen not when I feel deprived of certain foods (as suggested above) but when my calories have been too low for too long. People obviously are wary of overeating when trying to lose weight, but undereating sets me up for a fail. It's worth it to be sure your calorie goal is appropriate.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

What's your calorie goal per day & how much do you need to lose?

Do you weigh your food on a food scale?

I find if my goal is too low (I have an active job that requires me to pretty much be on my feet for 8 hours) that I want to eat the entire house. I find I do best with weight loss if I net at least 1600-2000 per day (2000 is usually for my days off & maintenance calories if I decide to eat up to that amount depending on how active I am).

If your goal is too low & you have a lot to lose just remember (I have had to keep remembering this) that weight loss is a marathon & not a 100 yard dash.

Also it's fine to start eating a bit healthier compared to when you started your fitness journey, but don't completely eliminate all your previous favorite "naughty" foods (I don't view foods as good or bad). You want to set healthy habits that can sustain you for life. If you don't plan on giving up some of your favorite foods for life then I would start to incorporate those into your daily calorie goal to help you ease into maintenance. Now it's fine to completely eliminate trigger foods at the moment that you know you can't eat without gorging & completely derailing your goal. With those I would just keep working at until it's not a trigger.