Lower calorie pizza in the Northeast?

Options
After reading a post on Mod Pizza, I was trying to find similar lower calorie pizza options in the Northeast but could not find any. Anybody up here know of any?

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Probably any with a thin crust. That seems to be the trick with MOD.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    ^^this, choices will depend on where you are. Local joints are your best bet as national chains tend to use thicker doughier crusts.

If you're anywhere near New Haven, Connecticut, their trademark style is actually really thin and crisp crusts. I can't vouch for the calorie load, but it's probably delicious.

Alternatively, eat 2 slices of standard NY thin pie or a whole small neapolitan pie and don't eat the crust. That's likely about the same amount of food/calories as a MOD 11" pie (NY style pies are generally 16" to 18", so slices are pretty well sized).

Also, you can make a pretty good 'bar pie' at home using a flour tortilla, a skillet, and your toppings of choice. Google "Tortilla bar pie serious eats" for the recipe. It's makes a surprisingly good pie and you can satisfy your pizza craving with a 10" pie that you can easily keep to 600 calories or less.
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You pretty much have to make them yourself, cauliflower flour, low/no fat cheese, turkey pepperoni etc.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Not sure of where to find a truly low-cal pizza since most of the pizza spots around me don't have nutrition information available. I usually make my own!

Use an Everything Flat Out Wrap as the base, layer on 2 T. of Sausage Prego Sauce, 1/4 c. shredded mozzarella and 2 slices of hard salami. Season with oregano and basil - BAM. 10-minutes in the oven at 350 and it's seriously the best macro-friendly pizza ever (and way easier than attempting to create your own crust when in a hurry)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Well sticking with thin or ultra thin crusts would bring the cal count down. If a pizza eatery has a particularly good sauce and a large variety of veggies....forgo the cheese.....crazy as that may be :p
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I make homemade pizza starting with the flour. That way I can count every ingredient and know the number of calories in the final product. I'm going to make one in a few days and could tell you the dimensions of the thin crust I end up with for 792 calories. I'm going to estimate 10 x 14. We tend to eat the whole thing between the two of us but it could probably feed 4 smaller appetites. How many calories go on top is totally up to you.