Is painting exercise?

Options
I feel like it sure is. I have been at it for three days doing my whole house inside from 9am till 5pm and far from done. It isn't listed under any of the exercises though?

Replies

• ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=121

Are you painting from 9 am to 5 pm with no breaks?
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You can change your activity level for a day from sedentary or whatever you are to active and eat to that level.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You can change your activity level for a day from sedentary or whatever you are to active and eat to that level.

Yeah, this would be a better way to go about it than trying to guess with some database entry that is sure to be off.

When I had days like that when I was losing, I just chalked it up to owing myself a couple of nice IPAs...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    It definitely will affect your energy expenditure for the day, but is classified as exercise, no. I did a quick search to find a MET table.. hopefully this will help.

http://www.topendsports.com/weight-loss/energy-met.htm

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    This is how it goes with me.

Clear room, wash and prep walls, paint room, clean up, return furniture to room.
    This, depending on room, can be 1-3 days.

During those days I am not doing anything else, no laundry, no gardening, no work, so my normal activity has been replaced by this painting activity.

I just count it as my regular activity as my regular activity is on hold, and the difference in calorie burn will be minimal.

This works for me. If you manage to fit all your usual activities into the day, as well as painting, give yourself a couple of hundred calories.
    (You can make your own exercise entry for it if you are going to be painting often.)

Cheers, h.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    take it as a bonus.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Yes. If it is something that isn't included in your average daily NEAT then I'd add it. Here is a site that you can search for those kind of "exercises". http://calorielab.com/burned/ I put in painting for 150 lb person and it gave me 238 calories an hour for a 150 lb. person.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I suspect it's too variable to be easily classified. I've got 10ft high ceilings, painting is a pain because I have to move the ladder every couple of feet around the top. Way different to painting the skirting which is more an exercise in enduring solvents than a physical exercise! I might just scale back my weight loss goal for those days - aim for 1 pound/week rate instead of 2 for instance. Or eat a bit extra and log it. It'll all come out in the wash :)
  • counting_kilojoules
    Options
    This is how it goes with me.

Clear room, wash and prep walls, paint room, clean up, return furniture to room.
    This, depending on room, can be 1-3 days.

During those days I am not doing anything else, no laundry, no gardening, no work, so my normal activity has been replaced by this painting activity.

I just count it as my regular activity as my regular activity is on hold, and the difference in calorie burn will be minimal.

This works for me. If you manage to fit all your usual activities into the day, as well as painting, give yourself a couple of hundred calories.
    (You can make your own exercise entry for it if you are going to be painting often.)

Cheers, h.

I guess it depends on the person. I'm set as sedentary and to lose 1/2 a kilogram a week. The last time painted I ate my regular kilojoules, did half my regular exercise (which I ate back, as usual) and I did far less housework etc. I lost two kilos in a week.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @ACanadian22 If your regular paid job is Painter, then set your Activity Level appropriately. If painting is an extra activity for you at this point in time, alongside of your regular routine, then I'd find a way to enter extra calories burnt in the chart.

I use this site http://www.fitclick.com/calories_burned to determine calorie burns from various activities.