FOMO with food

Options
I realized that a while ago that at the office I had FOMO with food. It's such a mental thing for me, I wouldn't want to miss out on the free food or something tasty. Now that I realized the feeling I have figured out a way to control it. If I have tasted something before then I don't bother with it. If I have NEVER had it I will either take a bite or take a serving home and fit it into my calorie budget. For some reason just thinking this way, thinking "eh, I already know what this tastes like or Yea you can try it if you've never had it" gives me the willpower back and I no longer feel like I am missing out if I don't dive into the office goodies. I also find I have more self control if I take a piece of food/candy but then give it to someone else, Sometimes I will bring home a small dessert for my husband(who has no weight problem), weird I know, but it works for me. Anyone else feel this way, or have any things they do to make saying no to food situations more bearable?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    I became a germaphobe. I started watching the behavior of people in the office aound food that was out. Goodbye office donuts.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Not quite the same, but in the grocery store I will stand and stare at the deserts, know what they taste like, then am able to walk away.

Cheers, h.
  • Adamanda5
    Adamanda5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have learned to embrace--and, at times, to exaggerate-- my pickiness. I frequently attend events/trainings for work where free junk food and desserts are available in very unhealthy quantities, and it seems like everybody around me indulges repeatedly. It helps me to bring healthy snacks from home, but I have also started really looking at the desserts, being very critical before deciding to have one. Sometimes desserts look sweaty, or they have nuts or look too rich. Sometimes they just aren't favorites! (I have a strong preference for fruity flavors over chocolate.) If I'm going to put a dessert into my body, it is likely I will crave sugar later when it is offered, as well, so I always try to weigh how ultimately satisfying it will be for me. If it's worth it, I'll eat it! If it's not, I drink water, step out for a short walk, chew gum, or eat something I brought. People have noticed, which I often find embarrassing, but several coworkers have recently started making healthier choices as well!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Adamanda5 wrote: »
    I have learned to embrace--and, at times, to exaggerate-- my pickiness. I frequently attend events/trainings for work where free junk food and desserts are available in very unhealthy quantities, and it seems like everybody around me indulges repeatedly. It helps me to bring healthy snacks from home, but I have also started really looking at the desserts, being very critical before deciding to have one. Sometimes desserts look sweaty, or they have nuts or look too rich. Sometimes they just aren't favorites! (I have a strong preference for fruity flavors over chocolate.) If I'm going to put a dessert into my body, it is likely I will crave sugar later when it is offered, as well, so I always try to weigh how ultimately satisfying it will be for me. If it's worth it, I'll eat it! If it's not, I drink water, step out for a short walk, chew gum, or eat something I brought. People have noticed, which I often find embarrassing, but several coworkers have recently started making healthier choices as well!

Exactly, this is the one area of my life where I just let myself be a food snob/picky, it gives me that extra willpower, which actually now that I think about it is just routine. At this point I liken myself to a squirrel who goes around finds the choicest treats and then squirrels them home for myself or my family.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    I became a germaphobe. I started watching the behavior of people in the office aound food that was out. Goodbye office donuts.

Great, now I can't stop watching people around food, it works though;)