Running advice for new runner

Options
2»

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner who sometimes cycles. Once in a while I train with a cyclist who sometimes runs. We are both pretty good at our sport. But neither of us can keep up when we switch. Give it time and take it slow. You will get faster.

Good luck.
  • debbiedotok
    debbiedotok Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a begginers running group. You are doing exactly as you should at this point and believe me a 12 minute mile is deffinately not to be sniffed at. Build your endurance and the speed will come. It's all baby steps, nobody can achieve overnight, and excuse the pun but you are trying to run before you can walk.
    Good luck and enjoy x
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    sfcrocker wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips on how to start getting my speed up?

As others are saying, more running will improve your pace. The point of C25K is to develop your ability to keep running for a period, so it's about sustaining a pace that's achievable for that time. Once you can run continuously for 30 minutes you'll have a better idea of where you are.

Personally speaking, if I run all out I'll cover a mile then burn out. If I'm racing a 5K I'll run at a pace that will have me ready to throw up at the end, but if I'm running a 5K training run I'll be at a comfortable pace that's likely to leave me able to do the same again, or more. My 10K, half marathon, marathon and 50K paces are all progressively slower because it's about sustainability.

Once you can run for 5K, a running coach would be advising progressing to 10K training as the easiest way to improve your pace. You're likely to get well meaning, but ill informed, advice about fast intervals and the like. In that way running training is very much like cycle training, base volume gives most benefit for new cyclists.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Agree with what people are saying. The misperception is that you are trying to build speed, but really you're not. Let's assume 10 min pace is a goal. I'll bet you can already do that for some period of time beyond a 100 yd dash, just not for the full 5k. So it's not speed you need, it's stamina. And that comes from mileage.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    53 yo here and new to running this year. Stamina , as others have said, will get you where you want to go!!! Way to go!!!!
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    sfcrocker wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm a 57 YO guy who has been cycling my whole life, but I've decided to start running because I work near a Lake that is exactly 5K around so why not!

I downloaded an app that's supposed to take me from 0-5K in 8 weeks. The first day was 1 minute run, 2 minute walk, etc. I'm now on week 6, 5 warm up, 10 minute run, 3 minute walk, 10 minute run, 5 cool down but I always finish out the 5K even after the app stops.

What's frustrating me is that my speed is nowhere near where I want it to be. If I run full-bore I can barely make it five minutes, let alone the full 30 minutes I'm going to have to run on week 8 to do the 5K in 30 minutes. I'm averaging about a 12 minute mile, which is TERRIBLE. Cycling I can ride uphill all day long, and ride fairly fast, without getting that tired, but running seems to be a different beast.

Anyone have any tips on how to start getting my speed up?

First of all, there is nothing wrong with a 12 minute mile. I have ran for over a year and participate in 5Ks and 10ks regularly, and I run a 12 min mile. That's just my pace.

Secondly, if you want to increase your speed, don't forget about weight training and flexibility training. They make a huge difference in your range of motion and your stamina.