Can someone please help me figure out this food label?

Options
2»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    The calories add up:
    11g protein
    5g carbs
    7g fat
    = 127 calories total.

Those are the numbers per 100 grams, but the chicken breast probably weighs more than 100 grams. The package doesn't list how many servings of 100 grams there are.

Are the amount of servings or total weight listed somewhere else on the package? Otherwise you may have to weigh it.

That can easily be resolved by weighing the portion. I think the % sign is just unfortunate labeling. Our labels are per 100 g, so that's typical and the package should also have the total weight (which I don't usually trust). If you enter the info per 100g MFP should be able to calculate automatically per whatever weight the thing ends up being.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    I have never seen a food label without TOTAL CALORIES.
    Total calories are at the bottom under ENERGY listed as kcals/100 grams.

• myych
    myych Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The package:
    c2puzsloao14.jpg
    The Ingredients:
    5dw1hbnzkcnd.jpg
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ecorj2ehafq8.png

That might explain the bizarrely low protein content.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I guess they just don't realise. There are better quality frozen meats available, here in the UK at least. I happen to bulk buy from an online supplier and freeze myself (though some stuff arrives already frozen which is a bonus).
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    considering the arabic/farsi writing on the box - it might be a limited food option available - depending on where the person lives
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    According to mfp listing from usda 100. Grams of plain raw chicken breast has 120 calories, 23 grams protein, 2 grams fat. O carb(which adds up to 110 calories? Par for the course in USA). Other countries probably have other breeds of chickens, use different feed, may even cut up differently, so would be slightly different, but not that far! Somethings up!
  • nic_27_grassisgreener
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Why do people buy crap like this is beyond me. Whats wrong with buying a chicken breast raw and fresh and simple baking it with some salt and pepper?

:( You never know what food people have access to (I'm thinking especially of people with financial hardship or located in food deserts) ...some times we gotta make it work with what we have
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    This food label would never fly where I live. Thank you Canadian Government for easy to read labels.